How do I get my twins to stop lying to me? I have tried everything, but nothing seems to work. They mostly lie about not turning in there homework and they are both failing 6th grade.

momof332210

Asked by momof332210 at 8:51 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• My son was pretty bad about not turning in his work in 5th and 6th so what we did was meet with his teachers. They get a planner normally in middle school. We said we knew he was having a hard time with homework and we wanted a plan. The plan we came up with was he would write all his home work down, show it to the teacher, she would initial it saying that was right. He would bring it home, show it to me, Id make sure his work was done. Once done I would sign the planner and teacher would check for siggy and homework in the morning. If he didnt do it then he was grounded and I took things from his room until there was just a bed and blankets and he had to earn it back.

Answer by gemgem at 8:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I said does summer school sound good? While all your friends are at the pool and beach you'll be in school so it will be live 21 months of school without a break. Call the school and see if they show homework assignments and test scores onlilne (a lot do) and you can actually see for yourself.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Take away all their toys and all their privileges. Instruct them to bring all homework home, so that you can see for yourself every night that it is done. Check with the teachers daily to see that it has been turned it. You will have to make the consequences painful every time they lie. Also, do they have any reason to be angry with you? Are they using this as a tactic to punish you for something? At my house, they would also be spanked, probably by their father at this age.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i was the same when i was young until my mom had my teachers sign a work and the teachers would call my mom if i didnt turn in any work it got to the point where my mom gave me a month to get my grades up i thought she was bullshitting me well i didnt listen and she had then hold me back tell u i learned my lesson after that i decide to hurry up with school and graduated in 04
    ONLY_MY_SON

Answer by ONLY_MY_SON at 4:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Does your school have a homework hot-line or an online listing. Ours does. It tells me if my kids were late to class, if they got in trouble, if they turned in their homework, what grades they got on their tests, how their grades are, and their attitude if necessary. If not get the teacher to sign a daily assignment book. Then make them responsible for the necessary items needed for their homework. If they forget it once make them fess up. Say you forgot it or left it at school didn't you? Then let them know that next time there will be a consequence. Example: no spending that night at a cousins house over the weekend.

As for NannyB did you raise your kids in a prison. I am older then your kids and my parents would have never done that even in the 70's when it was legal.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 4:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2009