Should my daughter attend a high school that will allow her to earn her AA degree by the 12th grade?

She is a gifted student and really wants to go. The school is a D school, but the college students will be in the back. She has to take 4 years in the first 2 years. (2 math classes and 2 english classes) for 9th and 10th grade. I really want her to enjoy her high school years. I don't want to push her to hard.

momof332210

Asked by momof332210 at 9:09 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Sure why not? They have the same program here, its called early college. My son really wants to go too. With the schools being as bad as they are these days I would send him in a heartbeat. I dont think its asking too much. She wants to go right? And believe me, I homeschool another one of my kids whose a Jr in HS now and we got his Freshman and Sophomore yr done at home in a yr. Alot of what they do in reg hs is a huge waste of time.

Answer by gemgem at 9:10 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If she wants to let her... if she doesn't then don't make her. If she wants to then its something she'll enjoy which is what you want.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 9:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If she wants to. let her.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:47 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• let her go, and encourage her.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If she wants to go... let her go. If it's too hard, make her stick it out at least a semester to adjust. If it's STILL too hard or she just decides she doesn't like it, you re-enroll her in regular highschool.

I think it's great that kids have programs like this available to them now. Personally, I homeschool, but when my kids are highschool aged, they will have the option of attending the local jr college. They'll be able to havea good jump on their credits by the time they start college.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If she wants to then go for it. Early college programs are a great start and she can still enjoy High School. It also makes college that much cheaper!
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 1:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My daughter is gifted. When she was going into high school, she found a performing arts charter school she wanted to attend. It met the academic requirements we wanted so we allowed her to go. She needed that niche because she was bored at her other high school. If you daughter wants to spend her time this way and she is happy doing it, that's what matters. My daughter can't wait to get out on her own, into the real world, away from home. She has always been mature for her age. We need to adjust our focus from what we think is important to what makes them happy, assuming the basics are being met.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2009