Why isn't love enough? (DIA)

It was enough for for Sony and Cher "they say our love won't pay the rent"

Is it really love to uptrade our children to more wealth, material things, 'better' and more opportunity?

Please explain

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2012 in Adoption

• I think for some it is more than just giving the child more material things. Some people are simply not ready to be parents. You see it on the news all the time, senseless deaths of children because parents were partying, or just werent ready to be parents. I think it is great if someone can see themselves and say I know I am not ready to be a mom or dad, and give that child to people who really are ready but cant have kids. It isnt always about "stuff".

Answer by gemgem at 7:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2012

• Love has nothing to do with money or material items. However, love is not enough because love will not put a roof over your head or food in your stomach and love will not keep stability in your life or make sure you get the help that you need. Just as gemgem said, some people are just simply not ready to be parents. My DD's BMom was one of those people, and still is actually 6 year later, which is why she got her two boys taken from her by CPS...to put it simply, she puts her wants above their needs.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2012

• Is it really love to uptrade our children to more opportunity?

Yes

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2012

• . Some people are simply not ready to be parents
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2012

• My DS's BM was homeless and living in her car. It is naive to think that money isn't important. My husband and I paid about $70,000 more for our home to be in a better neighborhood with a better school district so our DS would have a safe and good place to grow up. DS is now going through some serious medical issues. My very stable, good job offers top tier medical insurance so that he can get all the specialists and therapists he may need in a timely manner. We love our DS with every fiber of our beings and because of that we are thankful that we have the means to provide him everything he could possibly need. His BM knew enough and "loved" our DS enough to know that she would never be able to provide for him. Little money = poor living conditions, high crime neighborhoods and lack luster schooling. To love your chilid is to know when you are not the best thing for them.
    mom2baq

Answer by mom2baq at 4:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• My kids' birth moms "uptraded" them to a stable two parent family with no drug addiction issues. They chose not to drag the kids through life with an addicted parent, and yes, that is love. There are all kinds of reasons why women choose to place their children for adoption. It is not because they don't have enough love.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:39 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• I think it is disrespectful to birthmoms to think that most are placing their children for insignificant little things like designer clothes or better material things. More often it is because keeping the kids dooms them AND the kids to a life of poverty and the cycle continues where no one can get ahead. Love is not enough: it doesnt pay the rent, heat your house, feed your kids, give you a shot at a good job or staying in school.
    Anonymous