My son is 6 months. He's been fighting a cold for 3 weeks. He's still eating cereal, fruits and veggies but won't take his bottles. I'm concerned because I'm lucky to get him to drink 10-15 ounces a day (6 ounces of which mixed in cereal to get him to take it). Is this normal? Should I refuse to give solids so he'll take the formula?

ZanesMom722

Asked by ZanesMom722 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If it has been 3 weeks it probably not a cold. Colds usually do not last that long. It is probably allergies. If he has a stuffy nose, that means he can not breath when he is drinking a bottle . That would prevent him from drinking a lot.

Answer by louise2 at 9:41 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• You can mix pureed protein into the mixture along with the other foods and his diet will be almost complete.
    The body has less desire to eat when it can't smell (hence the truth that we know that the smell of good food makes us hungry), so don't worry too much till his nose clears. Probably sucking on the bottle means breathing thru his nose, which is stuffed, so he prob. finds it easier to eat from the spoon which allows him to keep his mouth open.
    Adding the protein, plus mashed banana, cooked fruit, vegetable, and rice cereal (for starch) should give him everything that he needs. The 10-15 oz a day sounds perfect, anyway.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:42 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• No... actually I just spent about 30 minutes on the phone with a docotor lastnight because my daughter is sick and doesn't want her milk. Keep giving solids... and the cereal bottles are good to. They also gave me this 4 cups water, 2 tablesp sugar 1/2tsp salt... its like that pedia stuff they sell at walmart just a homemade version... then add a little orange juice for flavor. Its to keep them hydrated. (by the way my daughter is also 6months old) Things to watch for are if hes not peeing... he should have at least one good pee diaper every 8 hours. Also if hes not following you when you move and just seems really limp, like hes not wanting to move, and no tears... those are all signs hes dehyrated. Just keep trying to give him formula and if he take it great... but don't take out his solids... let him eat those.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 9:45 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Great advise dtetz!! :) I would love for you to post that again for our group. So many families with sick little Ones and this sounds like great advise. Esp. about how to watch for dehydration.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:54 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• actually my daughter had a cold for about 3-4 weeks, i wouldn't take him to his pediatrician, take him to a childrens hospital b/c my daughter ended up with pneumonia and bronchitis, and it was absolutely terrible, her pediatrician kept passing it off as a cold or allergies . . . . i would just take him to the hospital and possible get an chest x-ray because that's how we found out it was pneumonia . . . i wouldn't wait anylonger, we spent christmas in the hospital
    rylies_mum

Answer by rylies_mum at 11:05 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Take your baby to the doctor!
    Work closely w/ the pediatrician to take care of your baby when he is acting abnormally.
    Fluid and nutrient balance is very important for young children, and they need to get the just right amount of fluids and calories!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009