How can i help my son get over his fear of the bathtub?

My 10 month old son always loved playing in water and espeically taking a bath! If he was fussy or sick, i would put him in the tub and he'd cheer right up but now he screams from the second we put him in until the moment we take him out. The only think i can think of that caused the fear was he fell and hit his eye and was bleeding while i was bathing him so panicing to get him out of the tub i quickly rinsed him with the shower. I have tryed everything i can think of to help him get over this fear, i bought a bubble machine to fill the rom with bubbles, i've gone in the tub with him everything but nothing is working. Has anyone gone through a similar experience with their child or have any suggestions?

MattysMommy143

Asked by MattysMommy143 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes!!! When my son was about the same age he went thru the same thing - he went from loving the tub to screaming bloody murder the whole time - we couldn't figure it out either - then I read somewhere that is just a phase they sometimes go thru because they're becoming more aware of themselves and the possibility of getting hurt. We would just bathe him quickly and he'd scream - but once he was out he was fine. We also didn't bathe him as much - we'd just do sponge baths on the other days. Just give it time and he'll grow out of it. He's now 19 months and absolutely loves his baths!! Hang in there!!!
    Evans_Mommy0601

Answer by Evans_Mommy0601 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My kids went thought it as will so what i did was just putting some bath toys in the tub WITHOUT water. After a while I would put some water in a little at a time. I also had them put there bathing suits on. Now when i have the water running they come and look to see what I'm doing even when I'm just cleaning it out. Good luck i hope that works.
    monalisa138

Answer by monalisa138 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• It is a temporary phase that he will eventually grow out of. For now he can shower with you.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2009