Children's Beauty Pageant Controversy

What do you think of pageants for children?

Is it a good way to boost self-esteem and confidence or self indulgent (for the moms) and vain?

Please be respectful of each other's views. Thanks!

CaseyErin

Asked by CaseyErin at 10:13 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• They make me very uncomfortable.... for all the reason the other posters also mentioned. The little girls are really too young to make an informed decison themselves and it seems to attract mothers with questionable judgement....so I don't think it is a good environment for a little girl. I imagine there are some nice little girls with great parents who participate, but I think there are probably more people who push their kids too hard and teach them the wrong values who are drawn to this type of thing in the first place. What message would a little girl get from competing in a wig, with makeup and false teeth......Despite the attention, she would have to feel that the way she looks in her natural state is not good enough. And the expense.....that money could certainly be better spent!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:16 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I think they teach little girls that beauty is the most important thing and that they are not beautiful the way they are. I think it damages self esteem to tell them they are beautiful after they put on a wig false eyelashes. fake teeth and a ton of makeup.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If it's not a natural contest I'm against it. I feel they make those little girls look like hookers. They have fake teeth, fake hair and pile on the makeup. That is not beauty, you are altering it. I think it will only hurt them as they get older.

JMO.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My sd went through it until she was about 12 years old. She is overly preoccupied with how she looks and quite literally has no personality. Her girlfriend who has gone through the same is the same way. It has been their experience to get overloaded with attention solely on their appearance or the singing or dancing they can do. IMO it is way more important to teach the girls to rely on themselves and gain a sense of confidence in their own abilities, not by a number on a card.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Well my little girl does pageants and she is 6 and she does make her own decisions to go or not.... if you have not had a child in them you really have no idea what goes on!! They teach little girls how to be good sports because they are never going to win every pageant and every judge always sees something that another didnt!! My little girl has gained so much from them she gets to be princess for a day whether she wins or not and also the scholorships that come from these pageants are unbeatable!! I always give her the choice i never push her at all!! i dont like that people stereotype these pageants!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Personally they make me sick. Beauty is only skin deep and I want my DD to know that looks don't last but a loving personality does.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• From what I've read and friends who have done these pageants, the scholarships always pale in $$ to the cost of the dresses, entry fees, traveling, etc.
    I'm glad my DH said our girls could not ever be in pageants.
    My DD won a first-grade coloring contest that allowed her to be the "Snowflake Queen" at the Christmas parade, and that was super fun. However, my littlest DD was devastated when she didn't win it two years later. I can't imagine setting your kid up to feel inferior in beauty on a regular basis.
    They can learn to be good sports in many other ways.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• The first 4 replies pretty much sum up what I was going to say.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I think it depends on the parent and the child
    ckmom0612

Answer by ckmom0612 at 1:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I think that it materializes a child. I feel that as the little girl is receiving her flowers and being crowned, the announcer should say, "Congratulations, you have been successfully transformed into a trophy wife!" There are other contests that children can enter that offer great prizes, including scholarships and you aren't doling out as much money or setting your child up for as much heartache or future shallowness as with a pageant.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 6:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2009