Do you ever yell at your 2-4 year old?

I feel so guilty but I get so frustrated with my 3 yr old sometimes that I snap and yell at him. Its especially bad at bed time. I have to lay down with him until he falls asleep or else he FLIPPS OUT! I mean he screams and cries so hard you would swear someone is killing him. Sometimes it takes over two hours for him to fall asleep and I have things that I need to do after he goes to bed. I just get so frustrated.

Please tell me I am not the only one and do you know any thing I can do to calm my nerves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yelling is better than beating so yell if you must. anger needs an outlet. afterwards, if you feel bad, apologize. your kids need to knwo that you make mistakes too. as for bed time, be consistant and stand your ground. and honey, calling in the hubby for a few so you can go scream in another room is okay too. that's what i do when i need too. my kids are 8 and 4. i yell at them when i need to. i apologize when i need to. nad they are the best behaved, most polite well mannered and happy children you will ever meet. its all about balance. show him love in the same amount or more than you show that anger. it'll be fine.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:19 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I come from a family of ppl who FLIP OUT!! So it is very hard for me to stay calm. I do yell at my kids but I've got really good at stopping myslef after I say 1 or 2 words. Just think about your little children. You want them to have self worth and you dont want them growing up getting yelled at everyday. That is what helped me. Just look at how small they are and how innocent, they dont deserve to be yelled at. *Good Luck* I know it it hard.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 1:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I do it too...it's hard to stay patient sometimes!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I know you probably don't want to hear this but... "flipping out" is mental abuse. When you yell at your children or degrade them or w/e they change inside. Your child will continue to become more rebellious and "cranky". Watch Super Nanny lol.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• " flipping out " is not mental abuse! We're all human, and sometimes theres only so much we can take. Sometimes the only way to get my kids attention is to yell. They know when I flip out, I mean business, and they get their butts in gear!

barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 1:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• You're not the only one, you're just human and sometimes we just don't have sensors left in us. I've been trying to stay calm and not let my 21/2 year old drive me crazy, so when I feel like I'm going to yell at him I walk into the other room.
    BrobbyMom

Answer by BrobbyMom at 1:48 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Sadly, yes.
    I now keep an old receiving blanket on the kitchen floor - I use it as a time-out mat for my toddler AND MYSELF. Just seeing it there sometimes helps me calm down.
    As for your bedtime problem, this is common. He knows if he throws a fit, you will stay with him. Try to think of it this way... if he throws a fit in the store because he wants a toy, do you let him have his way? He's old enough to understand what he is doing. He's also old enough to understand new rules though he will continue to pitch a fit until he knows you mean what you say.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• "Flipping Out" is MENTAL ABUSE!
    Your not a professional so you don't know.
    If a Cop, Doctor or Nurse see you Flipping out on the child, the child would be taking away faster then you can say "I". So please get your facts straight before you say anything else. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• First of all, my father "flipped out" and then beat me where blood was shed 4 yrs ago and I was pregnant with my first; infront of a cop and my highschool principal...and I still was never seen my a HRS personnel. Everyone has a limit, and children love to push your buttons jes to see if you will crack. The only advice I can offer is to pick your battles when "raising your voice" sometimes its good to flip out because your child could have hurt themself or they need to understand that this is the place to have a behavior issue. I hope all goes well.
    mrsfarris

Answer by mrsfarris at 2:45 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• "Flipping out" is not necessarily mental abuse. We are all human and nobody can say that they have NEVER yelled at their child. There's only so much one can take. If you're name calling, degrading, etc. THEN it becomes mental abuse, but yelling in general is NOT mental abuse. If you say you NEVER yell at your children, I'd like to see you walk in my shoes for a day or two....
    romeece

Answer by romeece at 2:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2008