"father" in law keeps butting in!

my husband&i live with his grandfather, who raised him. his gfather is convinced i got pregnant on purpose(i didn't, i was on birth control)&is CONSTANTLY undermining me as a parent. its not a huge deal now, because my son is only 9 months, but soon hes going to figure out that if mom says 'no' gpa says 'yes.' nothing i do is right, he's always complaining to other family members that i don't know what i'm doing. the final straw was yesterday when my husband&i got into a fight&i decided to take my son&go to my friend's house to cool off (god knows if i had left him there what his gfather would have told people). i didn't realize my son had pulled off his socks while i was getting his diaper bag ready. threw a blanket over him but his feet were sticking out. gfather-in-law yelled at me for not putting socks my son. so i yelled back, which is very unusual for me. i don't want my son growing up around yelling, advice please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• i'm sure you'd move if you could. but i'm guessing you're there for a reason (people always seem to forget that). i had the same problem w/ FIL when i lived there. i just stayed in my room or out of the house as much as possible. i even let my baby sleep all day so we could play all night w/out being bothered. it's really hard, i know. i yelled back alot, but it never stopped. until i left of course. message me if you wanna talk.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• move out. as long as the two of you live there it will not get better. as long as you live in his home he is the adult and you are the child.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:29 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• He sounds trivial, and so what if you did get pregnant on purpose? Not his concern. I think it's best if you move out. Better to do so then put up with that BS.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Well, if you are living with him, MOVE!. If you aren't, just don't go around him. Maybe you yelling at him since its not like you will show him you won't be pushed around. Its always tough to live in someone elses home with children. Its not your home, but, its your child. Move if you can.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 10:32 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I agree, move , get your own place, before you son gets old enough to realize he can pit you to against each other.

Answer by louise2 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Move out. If you don't, he'll eventually cause so much stress you'll end up in divorce court.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Sounds like a bad situation that will most likely only get worse. We lived with my IL's for a time after my oldest was born and it was awful. No amount of arguing would make them stop undermining me. Is there a way you can move out? Or keep to a seperate part of the house? That's what I tried to do, stay upstairs, until we could move out. (We were remodeling our house at the time) I think the only solution is to get out of there as soon as you can! Good luck!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 3:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2009