With times being so hard, how can a single mother find time for fun projects with children while working two jobs? Got any fun projects?

thedftl

Asked by thedftl at 1:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Some things I do with my kids include adding food coloring to bubbles, and then letting them blow bubbles on paper for a quick art project.

We also go outside and use water colors to paint the house or sidewalk (and it washes right off!).

Another thing I've done is to take blown up pictures (or even pictures the kids have drawn), laminate them, and cut them into puzzle shapes. My girls can associate to the pictures very well and are interested in putting them together.

Something a little more educational, but fun for the kids, is to take old magazines and let them pick/cut pictures that are relevant to them and glue them into notebooks (one for each child). When I was teaching and working with ESL students, I started this. Not only are they making a book of their own, the book helps them develop language skills as they tell you about each picture. You can even make up and write stories about the pictures together.
    dimplz125

Answer by dimplz125 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I DO FRUIT LOOP ON DENTAL FLOSS NECKLACES WITH MY DAUGHTER THEY ARE FUN THEN PUT THEM IN THE CAR SO SHE HAS A SNACK WHEN WE ARE OUT. ALSO HAVE HER MAKE CARDS WITH MAGAZINES PICTURES FOR ANY OCCASION, THEN HAVE HER SIGN THEM & GIVE THEM ALONG WITH THE GIFT. PEOPLE SEEM TO LIKE THEM. ~KAY
    KAYOCHOA

Answer by KAYOCHOA at 4:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Go to a park and have fun during those few hours and have a picnic.
    Anonymous

• we have two big plastic containers full of misc. stuff that can be used for art projects. pull the boxes and get creative. we just let our imaginations fly when we have a moment. and i keep a plastic top tablecloth in the art containers along with old t-shirts so clean up is a breeze.
    SannySoo

Answer by SannySoo at 4:07 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• When my son was little, all he did was RUN, so I'd take him to this park were there is a parkbench and an old stone mill, that he could run AROUND and around ... I had a stopwatch function on my watch and would time him ... he got into it totally and I got to SIT with coffee and cheer him on, and yell, okay now switch direction! .... and he'd stop, slide and restart with all his little heart ! It was great...he'd go around like 12 times and then, stop for his timescore and want to "discuss" the round.
    He was so cute and I'd be slouchin' on a bench...living the lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer!
    Carolynne333

Answer by Carolynne333 at 8:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Check out the group "Christian Celebrations" here on cafemom...the group owner ALWAYS keeps it full of fun and free or inexpensive ideas to do with the kiddos. I get most of my craft ideas from there and it's a great group of ladies!
    Wildmom315

Answer by Wildmom315 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 24, 2008