what is the right age to start potty training ?

my son is turning 3 in nov. and he has part of the potty thing down he goes #1 just never goes #2 even if i put no diaper just underwear is there another way to go about it? i tell him every time i change him go to the potty not the diaper and all he says is ok but dosent do it i know he comprehends it .

tcecille

Asked by tcecille at 1:24 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It honestly depends on the child and if they want to or not to some degree.... I remember going in to the Dr office and complaining about my DD not being trained yet. (She was 3) and he said is she in Pre-school? I respond NO. Is she going to pre-school? I responded we don't have plans to do that. He then said okay well she starts Kindergarten when she's 5 so we have plenty of time..... If she hasn't got it down the summer before Kindergarten then we'll worry about it then.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:30 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• This may sound funny, but I knew someone with the same problem. She talked to her pediatrician about it and this is basically what she was told. The reason some children don't want to go #2 on the potty is that, in their perspective, the #2 is part of themselves. And when it comes out of their bodies, the idea of seeing it flushed away is scary because they don't have that full sense of awareness/understanding.
    dimplz125

Answer by dimplz125 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I've heard the same thing dimplz125 has heard.
    Try getting the book "Everyone Poops". Also (and this sounds gross) try making play poop with playdoh and have "let's put the poop in the potty" play sessions. Use a doll house potty, not a real potty!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Both of my boys were at 24 months.
    Anonymous

• I forgot to add when I posted earlier...the average age a child becomes potty trained at now is 3 1/2 years. My pediatrician told me that when he found out my daughter was potty trained at 2 1/2 (he was surprised). " )
    dimplz125

Answer by dimplz125 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2008