I'm wondering what religions there are?

And please don't respond with the obvious Lol I know what a Christian is... but I've been looking through the religion questions... and I saw something about Pagan blessings... I have no idea what that is so it got me wondering what other religions there are that I haven't heard about. I love knowledge :) so if you have a religion other then Christian which is talked about often feel free to tell me what and a little about it. ABSOULTLY NO BASHING... AND NO PREACHING... this is just informational and educational... not a debate about what is and what is not!!!

dtetz

Asked by dtetz at 10:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• im not answering this anonymously becuase im proud of what i am, despite any hate i recieve. i am a pagan. there are lots of religeons. its good to look into them, and find something that fits your beliefs. not neccesarily your life style, but what you feel spiritualy. theres usally something for everyone. if you have any questions about paganism or wiccanism anything "witchy" if you will, write to me, ill talk you you about what i know.
    soldiermom1986

Answer by soldiermom1986 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I'm agnostic, so you really can't consider my beliefs a religion, but it is what it is lol. I believe that God can neither be proven or disproven, so therefore I leave everything open-ended. I respect everyone's religions and beliefs because I feel that I have absolutely no authority to tell them what's right and what's wrong. I like to believe that something will happen after I die, but I won't know until it happens, and I'm perfectly okay with that =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:14 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I am pagan/witch (more of the celtci and Native american beliefs) I believe that things need to be in balance to co-exist ..I believe in the Goddess/God ...but to ask 12 different pagans what they believe in you will get 13 different answers... as in other religions, there are branches all with basic core beliefs, but all with different ways to practice...
    It is good to always learn of others faiths, I still do research if something peeks my interests...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:19 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I assume you mean what religions are represented on this site since the answer to "what religions are there" is there are tens of thousands of religions just in existence at this moment. Since you asked about Paganism specifically; Paganism, sometimes called Neopaganism for clarification is the attempts of several different groups & inviduals to recreate ancient religions (mostly animistic, pantheistic, or polythesitc ones) in a way that is meaningful in today's world. I read a great scholarly article that discussed the issue of how Neopagans view their religion... I will see if I can find it...
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Here is the article I have read:
    American Neopaganism: The Participants' Social Identities
    Danny L. Jorgensen and Scott E. Russell
    Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, Vol. 38, No. 3 (Sep., 1999), pp. 325-338

Another article that I have not yet read but might give some insight is:
    Witches of the West: Neopaganism and Goddess Worship as Enlightenment Religions
    Howard Eilberg-Schwartz
    Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion, Vol. 5, No. 1 (Spring, 1989), pp. 77-95

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I'm an atheist which means I have no religion.  I don't believe in any divine creators, or any form of afterlife.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:57 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Buddhist here. A great place to learn more about Buddhism is at www.buddhanet.net. Cafemom doesn't allow for enough room for me to explain it clearly.... but if you'd rather not look it all up, let me know. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Im eclectic pagan. There are many of us around CafeMom.
    Ive also met Buddhists and Hindu ladies.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I guess I could fall under agnostic or unitarian universalist. I study all religions and live off of my faith alone. Nothing organized.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 12:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• www.religioustolerance.org You can read all about the many religions completely unbiased.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:28 PM on Jan. 17, 2009