• In the Spotlight:

Hi Guys! I have a question about Maternity leave!!

Hi Guys! I have a question about Maternity leave!! Now, I work in a small business and there are no books or benefits about or for maternity leave at my work and i don't get paid for it which is fine but I'm just wondering how long should I take of before I have the baby and after?? I have no idea?? Whats the normal amount of time?? I'm financially stable either way!! So I really don't know!! Now I still have a while to go I'm only 3 months but I was told to plan early!

<3__Ericka

dixieQT

Asked by dixieQT at 11:08 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• before i dont know but people usually take about 6 weeks after go back after the 6 week appt.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Have you checked on disablity benefits? It has been years since I worked and left to have kids, but people used to get disability for a certain number of weeks before and a certain number of weeks after the birth.... But I guess that depends on whether or not you pay into disability insurance or something like that. You should probably talk to your employer to see what the expectations are....especially in a small company. I don't think most people get paid leave, by the way. They may get sick time, or disability payments.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:27 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• k; most companies don't offer paid maternity leave; but all companies must adhere to the Dept of Labor's Family & Medical Leave Act; which entitles you to 12 wks of unpaid time off; HOWEVER there is a company size minimum for that to apply; i.e. if your company only has 5 employees the Gov't won't force them to hold your job for you; BUT if they have say 55 employees, they HAVE to hold that job or an equal job open for you: http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Ask your employer how much time they are willing to offer you; that you understand it will be unpaid, but you'd like to start your planning etc...I personally stopped working 2 wks before my due date because I drove an hour each way to the office and had NO desire to go into labor on the interstate...BUT if you work close to home & Dr; I'd work right up to your date or even a day or two after if you haven't delivered by then and save as much time as you can to spend with the baby once he/she is here =)

Congrats!
    beachmamaof2

• to the pp; I was told that maternaty leave was NOT the same as disability...??
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 17, 2009