Praying to adopt thru our acquaintances

Has anyone started out this way.......spreading the word thru your community, family and friends?

How did you choose a lawyer to make it all legal?

How long does the BM have, in private situations like this, to change her mind?

willsmomma4ever

Asked by willsmomma4ever at 11:36 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Adoption

• In TN the mother has 10 days after signing the relinquishment papers to change her mind. Here is a link to all the states adoption laws if anyone is interested:

http://laws.adoption.com/statutes/state-adoption-laws.html 

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 11:58 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• This may not be true, but I think in CT the BM has two years...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i wouldn't do this... PERSONALLY- I let my aunt adopt my daughter, no court papers with a final adoption. Since I was 16 and forced by my family to do this-- I fought her in court and got my kid back. So---- go the legal route. I know it broke my aunts heart, and i wouldnt want to see that pain on a strangers face. Nor the bm
    charding273

Answer by charding273 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• We adopted through friends of friends. Ours was a private adoption. Birth parents rights differ in states so that would depend. We chose our lawyer through a friend who worked at the law firm. If you have any questions please feel free to message me.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• We adopted our friends baby. We are so close we are also Godparents to her first child, who is 3. Choosing a lawyer was work. We contacted every lawyer in the area. Then we went to visit with EVERYONE and picked the one we liked. There was one law office to where when they do a consultation, only ONE person can come into the room! I was upset because an adoption is a family ordeal!! Each one we never spoke with a lawyer. It was either a secretary or assistant...
    We finally found one..I had went in, tired as hell expecting to talk to a secretary. And this guy was like "Come on in to my office!" HE was the lawyer. VERY down to earth, sweet, polite, ethical, he wasn't pressuring anything or rushing anything.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Also he had a reasonable retainer. Alot of attorneys in this area's minimum retainers were $2500!! To even TAKE the case! Anyway, I was like THATS OUR LAWYER!!
    My friend signed a 10 day irrevocable affadivit meaning she had 10 days to change her mind.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2009