What can I do to help with my son's constant "accidents"?

My son-Nathan-is three years (he'll be four in May) and over the past week, he has been having constant "accidents". He never wets himself, but I've had this problem before-where he was defecating in his underwear at least once a day. It's happened three times today, and it's not even noon. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him medically, but I am at my wits end with this! Can ANYONE help with some advice or anything? I just don't know what to do anymore, and my ex-husband (his father) doesn't seem overly interested in helping out.

LRogers1984

Asked by LRogers1984 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• get his favorite treat, (M&M's, etc) and tell him everytime he poops in the potty he gets some. I do this with my little girl who is potty training and it works most of the time but she is 2. It worked great for me for my first son who was 3 1/2 and refused to use the potty.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• We use the reward system for our little girl she recieved a nice collection of disney panties and likes to keep them clean. there have been a few accidents though. we keep her favorite yogurt to reward her or if we dont want to ruin her appetite a sticker will do fine. little boys may not be interested in undergarments though, lol...Rewards, praise and encouragement help. My husband's parents told me he didnt potty train until almost four years old and he was completely potty trained instantaneously when they took away his faverote show (dukes of hazzard) so he pooped in the potty so he could watch tv .
    GINSMUM123

Answer by GINSMUM123 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If he is potty trained already and suddenly having accidents he may be having a growth spurt. My cousin learned her nursing class that the nerves grow slower then the body and that when they are having a growth spurt the "signal" doesn't reach their brains in time. Might just have to wait it out, HTH!
    Sunny_Nightz

Answer by Sunny_Nightz at 6:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Gosh, this is awful, I know. Is there any way you can anticipate his bowel movements? Like right after eating breakfast or having juice? Can you sit him on the toilet and just wait? Or run around with no underwear (not appealing, I know). It is hard to train boys, I have 2 of them. I always put them on the toilet backwards. Sounds like you might try handling this by treating him like he's just starting potty training? I'd ask the doc.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2009