• In the Spotlight:

Potty training a chihuahua?

Hi everyone, I have a question about potty training my chihuahua puppy. He is the most wonderful puppy in the world. I've had him for about 5 weeks, he is now 17 weeks old and still has problems. I've tried keeping him on a schedule (every two hours during the day, same exact feeding, and time out before bed, then same time every morning) and he still had a LOT of accidents. It was like he would go outside to please me, then save some for inside too. I kept him on this for 3 weeks, and to no avail, he still has accidents. The breeder said to let him outside on our screened porch when we leave so he can go into the yard as he pleases (I leave the screen door open) and I've noticed he'll go outside and play, but I've caught him going to the other side of the porch and using the bathroom there. One side of my porch is litterally littered with poop (on a concrete floor) What is going on?

ketha04

Asked by ketha04 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pets

• u have to be very patient with chihuahuas when u take him give him time to pee sometimes it takes my chihuahua 15 min or more to do all of his business.. also if u have him on a leash let him lead the they have to mark there terertory(i think i mispelled that)dogs love the outside big or small if he likes to play let him play a bit and when he does well praise him or give him treats that seems to work well..
    nicolemcgraw

Answer by nicolemcgraw at 9:24 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• you need to walk him outside to a specific area and let him do his business. if you let him run all around, of course he doesn't want to go out there- it's his play area! and when you take him out, spend an extra minute or so with him to make sure he finishes his business. praise him, love him, and/or give him a small treat to let him know he did perfect. potty training can last months, with accidents getting fewer and further between. you just need to adjust your routine a bit :) good luck!
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Hi there. The smaller the breed it seem the hardest to break. Take your pups poo off the porch and put it in a spot in the yard.When you are taking him out , take him to that spot where the poo is and hope he will poop there and pee, if he does reward with a praise or treats. Oneof my dogs refuses to use the back yard where it is fenced he wants a special place in the front to do his business.It all started when another dog came by and pooped in our yard! But at least he doesn't go in the house. You also have to remove all the urine and poop smell from the nside of your house. Make an area inside for him where he is contained untill he gets it down. Don't free feed,(leaving food down all day) and regulate his water.This will help his small little bladder to not get filled up all day. Good luck and have fun with yur new pup.
    doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 7:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• also when they go to the bathroom outside say words like go pee and go poop when they are doing that. so when you ask them do you need to poo or pee they will go to the door. although that may not work with the small breeds. the chi is a stubborn hard trainable dog so best to train all commands early.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE!! They are impossible....I recommend hard wood floors!
    crazyfilly

Answer by crazyfilly at 1:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• I have a rat terrier, similar to a chihuahua. i was about to give up on her, i had her for 8 months before I was finally fed up. Anywhere between 3-5x potty a day, and atleast 1 poop, sometimes more if I made her mad. (her idea of getting back at me) I told my husband she had 2 wks, and if she didn't give it up, she was going to find a new home.

I brought home a very small pet taxi, and kept her in there. I asked her if she had to potty, and made her clearly bark ONE time before i let her out. I would immediately take her outside, i gave her 2 minutes, if she didn't go, she went back in her crate, and if she pottied, I'd let her play in the yard for a few minutes, bring her in, give her a treat, and back in the crate she went. it took 5 days of the crate and the problem was well solved.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• con't

she goes in her bed on her own now, stays overnight, and i do not offer to let her out until she barks that one time. she associates needing to pee, with one bark, i ask her if she needs to "go potty?" she barks one more time, and i let her out to potty, and leave her out while i'm home.

While potty training, leave the chichi in the crate unless going out to pee. feed and water in there, love on him/her in there, just make sure that the dog associates getting out of the crate with going potty. eventually you'll be able to turn loose in the house, and the dog will associate getting out of the house with going potty.
    matobe

• Oh wow!Carlin was easy.We just took him outside and he potties every time.If we fail to take him out for a looooooooong time,he will do it in the house but we don't do that often.Now if he has to go and sits by the door and you take too long,he will pee on you just to get revenge but he rarely does anything in the house otherwise.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 9:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2009