what carseat comes after the rear-facing infant seat?

Just wondering. My daughter is nowhere near ready to come out of her infant seat, but I'm shopping around for her next seat. I'm a little lost : / What carseat should they ride in after they reach 22 pounds or 1 year?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• IMO they should still rear face until they can no longer--typically at 35 lbs. My DD is extended rear facing in her Britax--its a convertable carseat, meaning it rear faces and forward faces. I plan on keeping her rear facing until she grows out of it. It is safer for everyone to rear face--even you and I, but we obviously can't because we need to see the road.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 12:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• A convertible seat. These seats generally RF from 5lb to 30-35lbs, and then FF to 40, 50, 65, or 80 lbs depending on the seat. You could get a convertible now if you wanted to, and use it rear facing. I suggest rear facing to at least 30 lbs, and FF harnessing to at least 65 lbs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• There are convertable car seats that are rear facing until 35 lbs. They can go foward facing after 20 lbs and 1 year in most state. But it's best to keep them rear facing as long as possible. You can get a forward facing / booster seat. THere are some that are just foward facing, but those are rare.
    Anonymous

• Additionally, if your child turns 1, and is still under the limit for her infant seat (22lbs you say) she CAN stay in the seat until she no longer fits the seat.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• http://www.aap.org/family/Carseatguide.htm
    great info here.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• convertible carseat!! They make them small enough for infants, but those are the ones to go with!!! I would keep her rear facing, but that's just a suggestion, once she hits a year its legal for her to go front facing, but rear is safer!! convertible carseats are usually good for 35lbs rear facing I believe.. and so the other posters say! After the convertible is the booster seat, with or without a back. They say the Britax ones are the best!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I have 2 britax marathons that I love very much we have had them for 2 years and they are the best!
    ckmom0612

Answer by ckmom0612 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• ITA with the pp's on keeping her rf past the 1 and 20. There are plenty of great convertable seats on the market. Just stear clear of the 3 in 1 seats that say they are good to 100lbs. Idealy they are not.
    rina16

Answer by rina16 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If you are looking for a specific RX- I really like our Britax Marathon- I have my son still rear facing at 16 months, 25 lbs. and will keep him rear-facing until he hits the weight/height limit. My parents bought the Evenflo Triumph, which isn't as expensive as the Britax, and I really like that one too. Both seats rearface til 35 lbs, and then forward to 50 or 60 lbs.
    lilmadmansmom

Answer by lilmadmansmom at 1:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• a convertible seat. you can get it now if you want cause their made for kids as small as 5lbs. my sunshine kids radian 80 is rear facing capable from 5-33lbs then forward to 80lbs or 52in. i think it's alot safe than a typical infant seat so i bought it as soon as i could. i've only ever seen it online.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009