Is it safe to reuse bottles?

W/ my son we used the Avent bottles which he is 4 1/2 now. I was told that because of them being plastic that its not good to reuse them. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I don't know if I should by new ones for this baby I'm carrying or not.
Thanks!!

Tiffany237

Asked by Tiffany237 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Can you not just boil them and reuse them? I've never heard that you couldn't reuse bottles : / I mean, if you boil them that will re-sterilize them, right? I dunno O.O
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• well i have a 5 year old daughter and i reused her bottles and shes fine. now i have a 10 week old and hes good and healthy. so i have no disagreements
    shonnie_p

Answer by shonnie_p at 12:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• just wash/boil them. its fine
    sunshine21pa

Answer by sunshine21pa at 12:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Boil them and get new nipples for them
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 12:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Thank you! There is just everything being said about how bad the plastic is, blah,blah,blah. Just want to double check. I think I'll just reuse them and get new nipples. Thanks again!
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• How dare you try to save money and the planet by not throwing out plastic bottles!!

ROFL

I agree with the others...make sure they're clean and sterile and get new nipples.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I'd just worry about if they're BPA free or not...not likely if they're 4 years old
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 1:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• To be certain that you are choosing a bottle that does not leach, check the recycling symbol on your bottle. If it is a #2 HDPE (high density polyethylene), or a #4 LDPE (low density polyethylene), or a #5 PP (polypropylene), your bottle is fine. The type of plastic bottle in which water is usually sold is usually a #1, and is only recommended for one time use. Do not refill it. Better to use a reusable water bottle, and fill it with your own filtered water from home and keep these single-use bottles out of the landfill.

Anonymous

• This subject has been covered everywhere. I would just buy the bpa free to be on the safe side.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Reuse them...them boil them for 5 munites first. It's not as if they come from someone else's family!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2009