How can I get pregnant while breastfeeding?

cangelosi00

Asked by cangelosi00 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't think you can. I've never breastfed, so I don't know. Good luck
    ketha04

Answer by ketha04 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Breastfeeding isn't a guarantee that you won't get pregnant. It is very possible to get pregnant.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 12:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• The reason it's hard to get pregnant while breastfeeding is that breastfeeding delays ovulation. Without ovulating, you cannot get pregnant. And once you ovulate, your period will start coming again. So the only way to know when you ovulate before your period starts is to either use ovulation predictor kits (which could get very expensive if you don't ovulate for a while) or start charting (go to www.fertilityfriend.com for pointers). Other than that, the only thing you can do is wait for your period to start up again.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I got pregnant while breastfeeding while on the mini pill. just relax and it can happen
    ckmom0612

Answer by ckmom0612 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Yes, you can get pregnant while breastfeeding. It makes it more difficult for some women to get pregnant and others breastfeeding doesn't even seem to slow things down at all.

A friend of mine just delivered her third baby...she just weaned the previous one a month or so ago.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• same as when you arent bf-ing, you have unprotected sex, it is just as likely and happens all the time. are you ttc or just wondering?
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Because breastfeeding isn't a reliable form of birth control. It's about as effective as the "pull out method". Someone I know has kids that are 11 months apart because her doctor told her that she couldn't/wouldn't get pregnant while breastfeeding.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 8:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I got pregnant with #2 and #3 while still bfing. I'm currently 39+ weeks with a baby conceived while bfing a toddler.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 1:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2009