Do you think that is normal

for a five year to say 'nobody loves me'?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It can be normal, depending on the situation. If they had just been scolded, or if their siblings were picking on them, or their friends were excluding them from a game.

I would simply tell him/her that you love him/her very very much and nothing will ever change that!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 8:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2012

• I don't find it completely out of the normal.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2012

• I wouldn't think so...my almost 5 year old asks daily if I still love her. Especially after being scolded.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2012

• I would say so. Obviously if it was true that there were no positive adults and relationships in his life there would be a problem, but 5 year olds can become very "woe is me" saying things like "nobody loves me", "I never get anything I want", "It's not fair", "Everyone hates me!" "I'm the only one that can't/doesn't get to ____!"
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2012

• She was scolded before she said this, and she usually gets her way.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2012

• Bump
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2012

• FYI: bumping in the replies doesn't work in Answers - others need to bump you with the bump this question button

Anonymous

• I think it is normal for the age to say this even when they have a very loving family. I however know a child that can tell you that she feels in her heart that her Mommy doesn't love her. I didn't even know how to respond b/c I have felt that the mother doesn't love the child since she was born. This parent is in LOVE with the idea of people thinking she is a parent, but doesn't actually want to be a parent.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2012

• You have to figure out if it's coming from something he heard on TV or in school. I would also sit him down and ask him why he said it. There has to be something going on and you need to figure it out.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2012