• In the Spotlight:

Yard sale Question

For those of you that go to and/or have yard sales....

What kinds of things do you buy/sale?
How do you choose the price?
Do you prefer Friday/saturday sale or a saturday/Sunday sale?
What makes you stop at particular sales vs not stopping?

I am having my annual yard sale in April, but would like to really make it a good one this year.... I live on a major HWY so traffic isn't an issue, I just want to "spruce it up". I usually charge way too little for my items - how do Ifigure a fair price?

Anything else you want to add.....

ratchetlee

Asked by ratchetlee at 12:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Home & Garden

• mostly I like a big organized sale better than one that looks cramped and small... put the larger and nicer stuff closer to the road to attract buyers and keep things organized... clothes in one area, toys in another, etc. you can also put on your sign a general idea of what you are selling.. EX... YARD SALE.. BABY CLOTHES, TOYS, KITCHEN, BOOKS, ETC. ETC. try some balloons by the road as well.. a person that advertises well gets more attention. As well as signs saying Yard Sale... 1 mile.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:31 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• i think for decent items, asking 25% of the original price is the general rule of thumb. and of course you should ask for as much as you can, because people will haggle on everything. if you post the lowest possible price, and don't budge or make a deal, people walk. also, the best bargains my family has gotten is right when the yard sale is over. people practically give stuff away because they don't want to have to move it somewhere.
    oh, and personally, i haven't been to a yard sale in a long time, but i used to look for kid stuff or kitchen stuff. i prefer saturdays and sundays. i stop at places that have lots of stuff out- not just one or two tables with a few scattered items. group sales are also nice because there is usually a wider range of stuff to choose from.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 12:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Furniture and bigger items tend to draw people in...at least that's been our experience. Also kids clothes. We've always priced the clothes and little items way to low, and the bigger items too high, but everything always sells. We've had 4 yard sales at our current home and never had more than a couple of boxes of things left (we do one day sales, usually a Saturday). We had one on the highway that you live on and did great there too, it was a multi-family sale. Good luck!!
    redsoxmomof4

Answer by redsoxmomof4 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I usually only go to ones at my kids schools or when people have furniture or things like that. I go Saturdays in the morning before 10am. I dont like buying clothes or anything like baby items used. I will buy say a lamp, or shelves or things like that. No bedding, no clothes etc. It just grosses me out.

Answer by gemgem at 12:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Here is a really good website to check out to have a sucessful yard sale:
    www.yardsalequeen.com

Placing an AD in your local paper will definatly help. Keep plastic shopping bags on hand, as far as pricing; price them at a price you can see yourself buying them for! Good Luck!!!
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 12:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I would stop on the way home from work on Friday if I passed you and wasn't going to be in the area on Saturday. I like all day Saturday. I don't do Sunday. I will never pay close to what I could get something for in the store like baby clothes. You can get that stuff so cheap at Kmart or a second hand store. It has to be really good quality or really cheap for me to be interested. You can put the price at what you think it's worth and put up a sign that all things are negotiable. I used to always pay whatever was asked and skip over something I wanted but didn't want to pay the price for. I was too shy to offer less. If there is a sign welcoming that, I will do it easily. Don't put junk out. I hate looking at broken, dirty stuff. My other pet peeve is McDonald's happy meal toys because you know they were free.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 5:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Just make sure it doesn't look dirty or like you just put your clutter out. I think a lot of people will look for baby and child items, furniture, and clothes. I think everybody looks for different things, but there generally isn't a high demand for vases and ripped up stuffed animals...lol
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I like selling things cheap as possible, then everything goes quicker. I'm more interested in getting rid as much stuff as possible. Clothes, I sell per grocery bag, and I save the bags before hand. Furniture/baby items I put out where every one can see them first. They are always the hot items, like computer desks, couch's, or high chairs, beds.
    For the kids' toys that have batteries that are dead, I go to the dollar store, buy cheap batteries, so everything works during the yard sale. That way, folks know they are getting something that works, and you can charge more. I have my yard sale for three days.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 9:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I love looking for books, movies, toys, sometimes furniture... things like that... I normally by VHS at no more than a dollar each.. and books at no more that 50cents each.. toys depend on what they are... or how bad you want them gone. I bought a bouncer for $5, and a swing for about the same price... but you can always put prices a little higher and put up a sign that says B/O near items that you aren't sure about... that way you have room to negotiate. I'm more a Sat. Sun girl.. but I believe fridays can be good as well because you catch people coming out of work. so if you wanted you could do a 2-7 on friday... and 9-6 Saturday, and a 12-4 on sunday... that way you are also getting people that are coming from church as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Hi there! I love to go to yard sales, but pass by many of them because they are tacky or dirty looking. So here are my suggestions:
    I love yardsales that take place on Saturdays and Sundays from 9 am until 3 or 4 pm.
    I love to follow signs that stand out as being easy to read and contain the address. The same color signs with the same information should be placed at major corners to let the person know they are on the right route.
    A nice sign and balloons at the yard sale at the side of the road clearly marks the destination. Be sure there is enough safe parking, if possible.
    I love to be greeted with a friendly hello when I arrive.
    (continued)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:36 AM on Jan. 18, 2009