WHY DOES MY 15MO OLD GRIND HES TEETH??

BUT ITS ONLY WHEN HE IS SLEEPING!! PLEASE HELP IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!

KALYNNANDJOSEPH

Asked by KALYNNANDJOSEPH at 12:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's called bruxism and unfortunately, it's genetic. My son does it, I do it, my parents BOTH did it while I was living with them. At 15 mos old, there's not a whole lot you can do unless you take him to the dentist and get a special mouth guard. There are over-the-counter ones, but they would be WAY too big for a toddler. Your dentist can specially fit a soft silicone mold to your son's teeth to prevent tooth damage. BUT - they may not be willing to do this until he has all 20 baby teeth because then you'd have to get a new one each time a new tooth comes in.

Oh, and my son does it during the day when he's thinking or frustrated, too. Count your blessings it's only when he's asleep!
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My son to this day grinds his teeth in his sleep and he is almost 11. Dentist said that you can get a mouth guard that he wears at night so that when he grinds, he isn't grinding down his teeth. For me, I believe he does this when he is in a deep dream cause he talks also at this point.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 12:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2009