Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising a grandchild

If a grandparent is raising their grandchild, and the child's parent suddenly decides that they want their child back, does the grandparent have any recourse? If there is no drug use, and no abuse that can be proved can the grandparent still keep the child? The child is 100% better of with the grandparents and has lived with them for 4 out of his 5 years of life. The grandparents have him enrolled in preschool, take him on playdates, expose him to theater, sports, and music. The parents would keep him in a tiny one bedroom apartment and he would hardly ever get out.


Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Unless the grandparents have custody or guardianship of the child then they cannot keep the child from his/her parents if there are no instances of abuse or neglect towards the child.
    I don't even believe that the law will force the natural parents to give visitation rights to grandparents if they aren't willing.
    It is sad, but grandparents have no legal recourse.
    It is even sadder for the child who will be torn from the only home he has known for most of his life.

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

  • hardly get out?? prek, playdates, theater? yeah--- PLENTY of people live in a one bedroom apartment and "hardly get out" This child has it good
    To answer your question, it would have to be in the BEST interest of the child. FIRST and foremost, the child living with its natural parent is paramount to living with grandparents for 4 years. It is a childs right to be raised by its natural parents whenever possible, and there are rehabilitation programs out there for mothers not deemed ready to care for their child. These programs are designed to enable parents to regain custody

    Answer by charding273 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • I would go to court if you have raised the child they might find it in their best interest to stay with you. I dont really have answers. I disagree with pp idea that being with the natural parents is better. what kind of parent lets their child be raised by some one else for 4 years

    Answer by ckmom0612 at 1:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

  • i can't say for sure. but from my experience with family law matters, that kid is doomed. unless the parents SIGNED him over to the g-parents, the the parents still have custody. & to take it away, they'd have to be proven totally unfit, terrible parents. the fact that the grandparents are just better may not matter. i'm very upset w/ the system right now =( i wish the boy you're talking about the best though.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2009