If you could change one thing about adoption, what would it be?

only one thing and no cheating and answering anonymously a bunch of times. LOL

onethentwins

Asked by onethentwins at 1:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Adoption

• Create laws to protect ALL pregnant mothers from being approached by anyone to consider adoption, decide on adoption, or sign a pre-birth document for adoption. No exceptions.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:01 AM on Mar. 31, 2009

• For me it would be opening the records. I'm tired of the secrets and lies and adult adoptees being discriminated against.

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i think i would change how long it takes to adopt a child..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• There are lots of things I would want to change! First of all, I don't like that adoptive parents are matched to expectant mothers prior to the birth of the child (for many reasons). I don't think that it's fair to the expectant mom to have to have that added pressure and I don't think that it's fair to the adoptive parents to have to pay agency, legal, and living expenses for a child they may not get to raise.
    AngieMT28

Answer by AngieMT28 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Second, I wish that all of the states had the same laws and didn't act like separate countries when trying to adopt across state lines. I think that if all of the states operated the same, it would end a lot of the fraud associated with adoption. Third, I think that all adoptions should be "open" (if the situation is safe for the child). This is probably kind of a controversial statement, but I think that identifying information should at least be shared. It bothers me that we only have a first name for my son's Birth Father, yet the agency has his full name, address, etc. That information should belong to my son. We also would have no problem sharing full information with our son's birth family. Why shouldn't they know who is raising their son?
    AngieMT28

• Homosexuals who meet the SAME criteria that is set for heterosexuals are allowed equal opportunity to adopt.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 1:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• The price. It's so expensive! It seems like you are BUYING the child not adopting him/her....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 1:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Open records for ALL adoptess. Access to those records at any age. Their right to know of their biological family before they reach the age of 18.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Legally enforceable open adoption agreements
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• More folks would stop trying to mail order a baby that matches all their specifications, and begin adopting the children that wait!!!!! It's about the kids in need - NOT a person's entitlement to the "perfect" child!
    Anonymous