First baby and a million questions??

I'm only about 3 months pregnant and wanted to know when is the earliest I will start feeling "FLUTTERS"?? I seriously thought I did one time but I'm not sure, it was a tickle in my belly?? Also when is the soonest I can find out the gender and what are some early signs of boys and girls that people talk about??

dixieQT

Asked by dixieQT at 1:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Usually with a first pregnancy, flutters are felt around 15-20 wks. I started feeling mine at 16 or 17. Kicks are usually 18-26, but really depends on your weight as well. I could feel kicks at 20wks. But it's not the same for everyone. Most hospitals won't schedule an ultrasound to determine gender until 20 wks, but SOMETIMES they can tell the gender as early as 16 wks. I have heard 13 wks from a couple of people, but I believe that's 4D ultrasounds (expensive). Plus, baby's are just beginning to develop genitalia at 13 wks, that's why you really can't tell until after 16 wks.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I did about 14 weeks. But in my first pregnancy its hard to "know" you know? I thought it was bubbles until my ob was like "that is your baby kicking!" lol..but with my later pregnancies I knew right away.
    You can find out the gender as early as 14-15 weeks. We have found out that early with 2 of ours.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Oh and congrats on your pregnancy!! Just wait until those flutters turn in hard elbows and legs cramming into your rib cage lol..
    *sigh* I miss being pregnant :(
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i started feeling the flutter laying down at 12 weeks.. and standing up around 14 weeks.. I found out the gender at 18 weeks although i think you might be able too around 16 but they recommend later just to be sure. And the signs don't mean nothing. either way its a 50/50 :)
    ASHkrazy23

Answer by ASHkrazy23 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• oh i started feeling him kick on the outside around 16 weeks. but i REALLY started to feel in sometime after 20 weeks.
    ASHkrazy23

Answer by ASHkrazy23 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i think i felt them around 14-16 weeks-i think some of it depends on your pre-pregnancy weight, the smaller you are/were, the earlier you'd feel them (not always though). it felt more like gas bubbles for me though-i new it was baby since there was no "release." t he earliest you can find out is 20 weeks, although i've seen others say earlier. i was told girls wreak havoc on your body and boys make you glow-i didn't glow, ha. congrats!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Movement generally starts being felt around 16-20 weeks, usually later in first pregnancies, though I felt it at about 13 weeks with both of mine. Gender can be determined around 18-22 weeks, whenever in there they do your ultrasound. The old wives' tales, while amusing, cannot be relied upon, take my word for it; everything with my first said that my son was going to be a girl, including the supposedly 99% accurate Chinese gender chart, except that I carried low. And now I'm having a girl, the Chinese gender chart is wrong again, and I'm carrying low again.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I felt my son move right around the beginning of my 14th week. BUT - I had a m/c in about week 10 to 12 when I was in my early 20's and that may have made my uterus not as "tight" as it is for first pregnancies, and at 14 weeks I hadn't even gained an ounce yet ... the u/s tech was worried at my 20 week ultrasound because I'd only gained about 4 ounces at that point. I guess I'm on the slimmer side?

I "knew" from about the moment I got pregnant that I was having a boy. Don't ask me how. My mother also knew with each of her 3 kids what flavor she was having. By u/s, IF you have a good tech - they can tell as early as 16 weeks but more usually at 20 weeks.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Oh - and according to the old wives' tale my son was supposed to have a lot of hair (since I had a ton of heartburn) but he was born bald and stayed that way for a long time.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2009