How do i get my son off of breast milk if he will not take the bottle?? Please help

My son is 4 months and 2 weeks old and i am in need to go back to work, very soon and i need to get my little on off of the breast milk, problem is he wont take a bottle and i have tried every nipple and bottle they sell. Plus i dont know what formula is the best. At times i will get him to take the bottle but as soon as he taste its not formula he spits it out and throws a huge fit untill he cries himself to sleep without eating. I cant pump for some reason it just doesnt work for me. Can anyone give me advice if they have had a similar problem.

jbarkas805

Asked by jbarkas805 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My kids did both, but preferred the breast. For my son especially I had to get him in basic nursing position and sort of sneak the bottle in. Sometimes I even had to start nursing and hurry up and trade. Maybe it is similar for your son and if you make sure he's getting the same feel of closeness he will give in to the bottle. Good luck.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 3:32 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I couldn't pump that much either. I know how you feel. Try a slow transition, perhaps an ounce of formula and the rest by breastfeeding?? Everytime try to do more bottle feeding. You need to by a wide bottle, the ones with the really wide base at the nipples, that's how I transitioned my son. OR, but a pack or two of the formula that comes prepared, they sell them in little bottles and the nipples are very different, usually they have samples at the hospital.
    Alma2kids

Answer by Alma2kids at 4:13 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Have someone else try feeding him the formula when you are out of the room. It may be that he knows that you are around and can smell your milk. My 2nd hated bottles if I gave them to him but didn't mind if my husband gave him a formula bottle. Ask your Dr or nurse for rec for a good formula
    mommy_of-2

Answer by mommy_of-2 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• you can mix formula and breastmilk together and each time less milk and more formula til he's used to it.
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 5:15 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Have you tried the Second Nature bottles. The nipples have several tiny holes so the baby has to suck to get milk similar to nursing. Another idea is if he takes a pacifier look for a nipple that is the same shape. As far as taste of formula you may want to try mixing a little juice or even breastmilk and transitioning him slowly so he can get used to the taste. My son had to be supplemented with formula at 9 months due to my milk decreasing after I had returned to work and since he had never had formula before we had a really hard time. His doctor told me to mix the formula with juice instead of water and then slowly cut back on the ammount of juice.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 5:20 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Also my son was allergic to most of the formulas which is part of why he rejected them so we finally put him on Nutramigen and that helped alot. It is unfortunately the most expensive formula but it did work.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 5:26 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I like and use playtex ventaire bottles I don't know about formula cause my son can only drink soy formula
    Con3Fam

Answer by Con3Fam at 6:43 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I love the playtex bottles with liners,I prefer the 8oz bottles, it is said they resembles a womans body, so my son love them, i only use the bottles when we are out b/c he is a 100% breastfed, and i have no problems
    yrkt27

Answer by yrkt27 at 9:47 AM on Jul. 20, 2008