Baby Proofing.

So my DD is 7mos and my DH and I are starting to notice all the potential hazards. Toilets, cleaning products, meds, outlets, stairs, corners of tables, what am I forgetting???

Farrahann

Asked by Farrahann at 2:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• Everything that is in your cabinets, or the knife drawer in your kitchen. The trash can, candles....Most anything can be a potential hazard. Just don't go crazy and raise your baby in a bubble.
    Anonymous

• The only babyproofing we did was keep the bathroom door closed, gates on the stairs and to the kitchen and eventually we had a lock on the cabinet under the sink. Other then that we didn't do much. I think with my first I moved some of my mom's breakables (she had died and I didn't want her things getting broken). With my last one we didn't even block off the kitchen. My youngest is 3 and the only baby proofing we have left is the latch on the cabinet under the sink and it rarely gets locked.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• All of the above! I actually had the most issues with cabinet doors (on our entertainment armoire). My son loved opening and shutting them until he got his fingers pinched in them. Also beware of bifold closet doors...they can easily get their fingers pinched in the middle. Your daughter is a little young for those things now, but it never hurts to think ahead. We've always had a gate up so the kids could never enter the kitchen. I just keep it off limits.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• cords!!
    ckmom0612

Answer by ckmom0612 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Get down on your hands and knees and crawl around the house...If it's within 4 feet of the floor...proof it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Thanks for taking the time to give me some tips.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I was going to say the same thing as what TiccledBlue suggested because that is what I was told. Also, carry a toilet paper tube with you and if you see an object at her level (toy, kid-safe knick-knack, etc.) try to fit it in the tube. If it easily fits through it then it is too small to keep at your child's level because she can choke on it. Also, examine all her toys and items that she is with on a daily basis. Are there loose parts? Are there stuffed animals with eyes, noses, etc. that can be pulled off and put into her mouth? Tug on things yourself to see how sturdy they are. Remove all stuffed animals with features that can be pulled off and choked on.
    You're a good mom!

:)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:52 AM on Jan. 18, 2009