How long should you boil bottles and nipples?

At what age did you stop boiling the bottles for baby?

acmjmom28

Asked by acmjmom28 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im not sure i always used a sterlizer until my son was about 4-5 months, but i would wash them with super hot water and soap!!!
    Anonymous

• I never boiled my kids bottles. I just cleaned them like I did ever thing else. Wouldn't cleaning them in the dishwasher be just as good.

Answer by louise2 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I used Playtex silicone nipples. The box said to boil the 5 minutes. I generally boiled them once a week. I never stopped due to age - thrush can live on even a well washed nipple.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I had a sterilizer and used that until she was off the bottle ...11 months. I did boil her nipples and I did it for 3 minutes.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 2:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My daughter's pediatrician said if you use a dishwasher and use the "hot wash" setting (or sani-wash, whatever), you don't need to boil them because the dishwasher gets hot enough. We didn't have that luxury, so I did have to boil them. I boiled them after every use until she was 6 months, then after that I boiled them once a week until she was off the bottle, which was about 10 months.
    mommee_b

Answer by mommee_b at 2:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I only did it the first time according to the package. After that, just hot soapy water after that. (and that was according to the package directions)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I just threw them in the dishwasher with everything else. I would only boil them once a month, because the dishwasher sanitizes everything anyway.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 4:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• you are supposed to boil them?!? Kidding! I never boiled the kids bottles except when I got them out of the package. I didn't wash them in the dishwasher though. I always washed them in a clean sink, seperate from other dishes in hot water with rubber gloves on, that seemed to work.
    CCmom05

Answer by CCmom05 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009