How long should you boil bottles and nipples?

At what age did you stop boiling the bottles for baby?

Asked by acmjmom28 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im not sure i always used a sterlizer until my son was about 4-5 months, but i would wash them with super hot water and soap!!!

• I never boiled my kids bottles. I just cleaned them like I did ever thing else. Wouldn't cleaning them in the dishwasher be just as good.

Answer by louise2 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I used Playtex silicone nipples. The box said to boil the 5 minutes. I generally boiled them once a week. I never stopped due to age - thrush can live on even a well washed nipple.

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I had a sterilizer and used that until she was off the bottle ...11 months. I did boil her nipples and I did it for 3 minutes.

Answer by MrsPilat at 2:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My daughter's pediatrician said if you use a dishwasher and use the "hot wash" setting (or sani-wash, whatever), you don't need to boil them because the dishwasher gets hot enough. We didn't have that luxury, so I did have to boil them. I boiled them after every use until she was 6 months, then after that I boiled them once a week until she was off the bottle, which was about 10 months.

Answer by mommee_b at 2:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I only did it the first time according to the package. After that, just hot soapy water after that. (and that was according to the package directions)

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I just threw them in the dishwasher with everything else. I would only boil them once a month, because the dishwasher sanitizes everything anyway.

Answer by kaysha at 4:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• you are supposed to boil them?!? Kidding! I never boiled the kids bottles except when I got them out of the package. I didn't wash them in the dishwasher though. I always washed them in a clean sink, seperate from other dishes in hot water with rubber gloves on, that seemed to work.

Answer by CCmom05 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 17, 2009