Best inexpensive dog food (that doesn't cause gas)?

We changed from Iams dog food to Pedigree because it was more cost effective for our budget. We changed dog food gradually, it's been 4 months and our dogs have horrific gas. It stinks the whole house up. They also have to poo more often and twice have had accidents in the morning at around 4 am. I've got to switch them but would like to know if anyone has recommendations for a different brand that's not expensive....otherwise it's back to Iams, i was just hoping to keep saving.

deedee3849

Asked by deedee3849 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pets

• It's not cheaper , but my dog eats science diet light, It has more fibre then other dog foods.His vet told me more fiber is better.

Answer by louise2 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Not sure about gas but we switched from one brand to the healty iams ( brow bag) like a organic one or something. Meat is the first ingredient, instead of Cornmeal which is hard for dogs to digest. Our dog went from throwing up food all the time to NEVER throwing up.

Check your dog food ingredients, to see what the first one is. If it's cheaper, means more "filler crap." If your dog did good on Iams originally I would just go back to that brand, but do the new one with the meat. Not saving you any money, but your sanity will be saved not having to deal with gas and accidents LOL

Sorry could not help more...Walmart sales iams, even the new one, so that might be cheaper then buying it at the grocery store.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Alot of people buy a higher priced dog food, good quality, and mix in a "filler" dog food, cheaper price. Stretches the food longer, so in essence, you are saving money, without totally giving up what you like about the better food that you're all used to .
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• We use the Ol'Roy brand from Walmart! Also know that when switching your dog may have gas, when we switched ours they did, but they adjusted before the bag was empty! Good luck!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I would recommend something like Blue Buffalo or even Nutro Ultra, (you can get either one at Petsmart) while they are not the best foods out there, they are MUCH better than Pedigree and Iams and much better (and by better I mean safer, the ingredients in Iams and Pedigree are not safe) ingredients. Also once you switch to a better food you can add yogurt (plain nonfat is what I give) once a day to food, just a tablespoon, it helps with gas.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• hmm..i was gonna say pedigree..my dogs good on that!! but..i guess it doesnt work well for yours...what about "eukaneuba" ive heard that works good
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If it's available in your area try Diamond brand lamb and rice. I mix it half and half with Purina Dog Chow and his poo does't hardy stink at all, and he eats just as much but has smaller stools. So I assume he's getting more nutrition out of what he eats.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:24 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I saw this and thought of Iams but thats what you switched from. My dog was pooping 3-4 times a day and would have lots of gas. I switched her to Iams and that did the trick. Now she poops 1-2 times a day and had very little if any gas.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Pedigree is crap food its basically like eating cardboard they have to eat 4 times as much to get the nutrition they need.
    I am a certified animal nutritionist specializing in canine and feline diets. I only reccomend 4 foods.

Science Diet
    Eukanuba ( higher oils =more gas though)
    Royal Canin ( great breed specific diets)
    Nutro Natural Choice

I would say try the nutro natural choice chicken rice and oatmeal they offer coupons online and a frequent buyer program to help fight the cost.
    WAV-MyLove

Answer by WAV-MyLove at 6:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2009