what is the rule on alternating childrens motrin and tylenol to get a fever to go down.. how long do you wait between doeses?

my 2 year old daughter is running a 100.00 fever I gave her tylenol at 11:00 should I altrenate it with motrin and how long between doses?

happymom200

Asked by happymom200 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• YES YOU CAN SWITCH BACK AND FORTH BUT EVERY 4-6 HOURS NOT BEFORE THAT :)
    aidensmommy18_2

Answer by aidensmommy18_2 at 2:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Yeah I think it's 4 hours, they did that with my son in the hospital...you should call a nurse line or your ped though just in case.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• 4 HRS IN BETWEEN.. AND YOU ALTERNATE ALSO STRIP HER NAKED.. IT'LL MAKE THE FEVER BREAK EASIER!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• A fever of 100 is NOT a fever that needs treatment.
    You do realize that fevers are her bodies way of fighting the germs and getting better, don't you? Would you send her out to play in the snow without a coat? Would you send her to school with no paper or pencils? Why make it harder for her to get well?

If her fever gets to 102.5, THEN you treat it. You give her meds or use cool baths to keep it BELOW 102.5, not to make it go away completely.
    IF her fever hits 103 for 3 days in a row, you take her to the doctor.
    If her fever hits 103 and you can't get it below 102.5, you take her to the doctor.
    If her fever hits 104, you call the doctor and ask to have her seen NOW or take her to the ER.
    If she is uncomfortable or in pain, you can give meds no matter what the fever is but you do NOT treat a fever under 102.5 just to treat the fever. HELP her get well, don't make it harder.

These rules apply to you too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• The hospital told me this too, you can wet some adult socks and tie them around the baby's ankles to get the fever out of the chest/torso area where the major organs are.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• While as another person said, a fever of 100 is not that high, I do want to add that if the fever is affecting her then my all means treat it. It is true that a fever is the bodies was of fighting off infection, but why make your little one lye there misreable when you can do something to give them relief. Personally, if the fever is not that high, but is affecting them, then I give half doses of motrin or tylenol. Just enough to give them some relief, but not enough to take the fever away all together. As far as what to give and when to give it, you can alernate between tylenol and motrim every 4 hours. Just remember that you do not want to give Motrin more than once in an 8 hour time frame, nor do you want to give Tylenol more than once in a 4 hour time frame. Motrin lasts long so I normally give that before bed if I can.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My Dr. recommended just tylenol because it's easy to overdose going back and forth (especially with the 4-6 hour difference) I would do lukewarm baths and lots of fluids.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• to the pp, you alternate them to keep from overdosing i don't even undertand how it would go the opposite you have to because acetaminophen will destroy your liver (thats not dr advice. i learned that in nursing school lol) but every 4-6 hours alternate and keep a detailed record of when and how much as well as temp at that time goof luck hon hope the baby feels better
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Most dr's say not to treat a fever that is less than 101. (At least our does) The only time my doctor recommended tylenol & motrin was when our child had pneumonia, had 104.5 fever and we gave it like: Tylenol, 3 hrs, Motrin, 3 hrs. It is to keep the side effects down from having too much acetiminophen or ibuprofen in your system at once. The tylenol is 6 hrs & the motrin is 6 hrs. However, ASK YOUR DOCTOR TO BE SURE.... :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Quoting ssnelson26: keep a detailed record of when and how much as well as temp at that time

VERY IMPORTANT ADVICE! Thanks for mentioning it.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2009