How much burping up formula is "OK", for a four month old? My baby is happy and gaining weight, but burps up alot and in between feeding, several times. Any suggestions??

momofsm

Asked by momofsm at 1:42 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Spit up is normal as long as your baby is gaining weight and is not experiencing pain along with the burping up. Buy lots of burp clothes! It will clear up as she matures.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 2:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Try a different bottle. I suggest you get "Dr. Brown's" bottles, they're great!!! You're baby is pulling in too much air.
    Alma2kids

Answer by Alma2kids at 4:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It may also help to keep her as upright as possible. My son had problems with spitting up a lot and he was breastfed. The worst was at night because he would seem to choke a little and I was so afraid. We got him a wedge sleep positioner that helped keep his head up and it really helped.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 5:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• You might want to ask your pediatrician if they think you child might have GERD (Gastroesophageal Relfux Disease). My son has it, he can't keep food down that much, he had a test done that confirmed it and now we just put a little baby cereal in his milk, feed him propped up and he sleeps propped up. But check with your doctor about this. It usually goes away once the baby starts eating solids.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/surgical/gerd_reflux.html
    http://www.coliccalm.com/baby_infant_newborn_articles/acid-reflux.htm

If you child ends up having it, I do use the Dr. Brown's bottles too, they are great, but you have to get the cross cut nipples if you are adding cereal to the bottle (my dr. told me 1tsp for every ounce)
    twny

Answer by twny at 5:40 PM on Jul. 18, 2008