Breakfast strike, normal?

my son is 7 and in 1st grade.

I wasn't going to make a big deal of it til it reached the one week mark but we're there now. He's declining breakfast on school days. We don't do anything fancy since school starts at 8. I pretty much offer a choice of 3 thing usually. Common ones are cherry vanilla kashi bar, a banana nut muffin, or whatever fruit is on hand. Sometimes they'll have dry cereal and a white grape juice. He eats that light breakfast about 7:30 and has snack at school around 10 and then lunch at 12 and snack at 2:30. In reality he's only missing out on maybe 300 calories or so, which he more than makes up for later on. Often he will devour his while lunch and the lunch aide will have to make him a sandwich on the side.

My husband says to let it go, he's obviously one of those non morning eating type people. He's a tired zombie in the morning and just wants to get to school.

Should I press the issue or let him do his own thing?

PS weekend he sleeps til 830 or so and always has a big throw down of eggs, sausage, melon, etc

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd let it go. I've never been a big breakfast eater. And, I remember always letting someone, who didn't have money for breakfast, have my breakfast in Elem school.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:20 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• I understand your concern; I like the kids to eat something before starting their school day. I would hope I wouldn't make a big issue....but I might.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• Can you get him to drink a protein shake or like Carnation instant breakfast? I don't know which morning shakes are healthiest or for kids, but something that would get his brain going.

It's pretty difficult to force a kid to eat, and usually just leads to a power struggle. On the other hand, they say that kids that start with breakfast perform better at school.....so there, I'm no help at all.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:25 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• See if he'll drink some OJ or take a breakfast bar with him, or a string cheese or something like that... other then that I'd let it go. Both my kids are like that... 5 & 7.... then again so am I. You can't force them to eat... that can back fire in a big way if you push it. It physically makes me ill to eat that early. Let it go... pick your battles!! ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• My kids have done the same for years now - I still ask - I can't help it. Even though I do not eat breakfast myself. But have a break at work at 9 - My kids are ages 11 and 13. I would just keep offering. AND sometimes, they do eat -
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 6:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• DS sometimes will wait 30 mins or so before eatting, but i insist he eat before school. Their brains( and rest of them) simply cant function without something. I would try some other small ish snacks, a smoothie, piece of toast, apple sauce, glass of oj, just something. Good luck
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• My son wants to be like that too. I always insist that he eats though. I let him choose what he eats, as long as it's something. It's the last thing he does before we leave in the morning too. I make him get dressed and all before he eats. On days when he doesn't have school, he'll go several hours before eating.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day! No snacks after dinner ,and try serving dinner earlier

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• WTH are the down votes for? Sheesh.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:27 PM on Feb. 11, 2012

• If he is not eating breakfast because he is tired in the morning. Make him go to go to bed earlier. So he won't be so tired.

Answer by louise2 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 11, 2012