My 5 year old has a fever of 100 home remedies?

is there any home remedies for reducing a fever? tylenol is not helping at all....i have one of those "be cool" gel things to cool the forehead on her right now but shes still so hot. gave her a cool bath...Gave her her antibiotics already and visited the dr....just dont know what to do now....

KayleesMommy89

Asked by KayleesMommy89 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 10, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My doctor believes in letting the fever do it's job and in a 5 year old as long as it isn't over 104 then to let it be. Now if the child is acting lethargic or sick in other ways then there is cause for concern. So what did the doc say she needed the antibiotics for?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:46 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• Not a high fever at all. I would not give fever reducer, yet.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/fever

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:48 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• Our pediatrician doesn't want anything given for a fever under 101. They don't even consider it a 'fever" until it is 100.4. If she is really miserable and already on ABT's though try Motrin. Tylenol never helped my kids plus it is so hard on the liver. strip her down to panties and a tshirt including no shoes and socks. When trying to cool her be careful not to chill her. "cool" baths are not good. tepid baths (water that is almost room temp..not hot and not cool.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• Tylenol never helped my kids - Motrin works better. You can give both at the same time - because they are different medications. I agree, with stripping down all the clothes. I used to take a damp wash cloth and rub it up and down the kids legs and arms and one on the forehead. It make them feel better and I thought, I was doing something to help - not sure, if it really helped or not.
    best wishes
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:09 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• You don't want to give a cool bath. The bath water should be 98 or 99 deg, though with a fever it will feel cool to the child. At that temp it will pull the heat out of the body.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:11 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• I would do nothing to be honest. If it got higher I would do a light PJ's and a sheet and maybe a lukewarm bath but I don't do medication until it hits 103.5 or if there is pain.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:12 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• Try Childrens liquid Motrin. Works better than Tylenol & lasts 6-8 hours.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:28 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• I also like motrin much better. But just try a cool cloth to her head and neck and let her sleep.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:56 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• If the fever is under 104, you shouldn't give ANYTHING!!!!!!! A fever is the body's way of ridding itself of an infection. If you give a fever reducer, you will most likely prolong the illness. The body is a pretty neat machine and you need to let it do it's job. Brain damage will not occur until the body's temperature reaches 107.6. So waiting until it's 104 will not do any damage to the brain.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

• Dress her in 100% cotton, and have her drink lots of cool water. If my kids are running a fever, I will usually give them a small dose of Motrin before they go to bed, even if the fever isn't high enough that I would give a fever reducer during the day, because fevers will usually go up at night.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2012