During this economy, is it sane to be paranoid to a bad vibe at work?

While I type this question, a Kenny Rogers tune, the Gambler, comes into mind "know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, know when to run".

I'm currently working for a firm that maybe cutting back financially. Currently my boss has been acting strange. Communication is practically nonexistant, I've seen her thumbing through my work (more often), and others. I tried to open discussion with her with no avail. I went up to the next up, and he said that this is the first time that they had a full time for my position. I've seen that the private firm's income is not as much as it was before from the archives. The clues are compounding. Basically, I'm scared and paranoid.

In a case like this, would any of you consider looking out for another job?

And, if you knew me, and saw me working for Wal-Mart (emergency employment), would you understand and not critize me for working for WalMart?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• Don't quit but definetly put your feelers out there, if you are laid off or they fire you you can at least get unemeployment till you find work.

Why would anyone criticize you for Wal-Mart, that is just silly, put food on your table girlfriend and who cares what others think. People bash Wal-Mart but if it wern't for Wal-Mart where I live groceries would be extremely expensive, and they employ a lot of people. They might have their flaws, who doesn't they do good things too.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 4:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• a jobs a job and your gonna be screwed no matter where your working! if your that paranoid about your job, its probably best to quit, but make sure you have another job first.
    no, i would not judge anyone of their job, because I don't know their stories, and it's none of my business. JMO
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 4:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Please don't think that way. If she has a problem, its up to her to bring it up. If all else, if you suspect something is wrong, ask her. It couldn't hurt. She'd appreciate that you cared enough to say something. But DO NOT quit before doing what I said. Its better to get fired trying than to quit and know nothing and even then, bring it up to her as I've said before.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• a job is a job, and the people that would critize will probably find themselves in the same spots soon enough... so ignore them... if you feel like you might be laid off, yes, I would look for another job... go for what little good jobs are out there, and work your way down the pay scale. I would also tell your boss, if another job opportunity comes up, that because you are afraid that the company may be laying off, you will be looking for another job in another firm. If they like you and can keep you,, they will work something out to keep you on, and things will be fine, otherwise, at least you are searching.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009