I need HELP dealing with all this second hand smoke in my house!

With some financial issues my Husband and I were facing, we are forced to live with my in-laws. It is a 1 story house with a finished basement. We live in the basement. There are no doors to block the air from coming downstairs. Basically, my in-laws' are "professional smokers" and smoke, I believe, 2 packs per day EACH. They are in denial of how horrible it is not only for themselves, but other people. I have a 5 year old son and I am 4 months pregnant with my second. I used to smoke (NEVER around my child) but I quit 2 years ago. I can't express how grateful I am to have a roof over our head, but I have become so bitter about the smoke in the house. I can't find the hapiness anymore of being thankful to live here. I have made it a rule that my little boy cannot go visit upstairs for a long period of time. They don't put their cigarettes out when he's up there. HELP!

hipmommaCLB

Asked by hipmommaCLB at 3:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Health

• Wow. You're in a tough situation, there. Do you have any other housing options - your family or some friends, maybe? If not, I would think your best bet would be a really good air filter, as good as your finances would allow. I'd probably place it near the staircase from upstairs. And maybe some houseplants that don't require direct sunlight?
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• You could get some small room purifiers. I found some at Big Lots for $20. I would also hang a curtain at the bottom of the stairs to try and minimize or "filter" the smoke. You can place some open containers of baking soda around to help absorb the smell.

Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• You may consider getting a hepa filter for the immediate air around your children.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 3:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I wish that I could help you but can't think of anything. Would they be agreeable to have exhaust fans running when they are smoking? or can you have a fan in your rooms pulling fresh air in? Although I know in the winter that that wouldn't work very well. In their own house they can do as they wish, and they may not believe the reports about second hand smoke. If they would agree to smoke outside or limit it to one closed off room it might help.

Answer by Bmat at 3:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I am most def. going to buy an air filter.  Houseplants are an awesome idea.  I have no relatives here, whatsoever.. all of our friends are still young, single, a little immature.  So I guess that's out of the question.  I wish they could limit it to one room.  Pretty much impossible to ask for.  Thank you for all your suggestions.

hipmommaCLB

Answer by hipmommaCLB at 4:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Let me play the devils advocate here for a moment. And you might not like to hear what I have to say...but someone has to say it. I smoked for 30 years and when I was heavy into my smoking I didn't care if people liked it or not....if it is in my own home and I am the one that pays the bills. So there would be no one that could tell me what to do in my own home. Now however, I find the habit to be disgusting, it smells and it is very unhealthy for you and for your baby and your son. So since it is NOT your house and you don't pay their bills....you are either going to have to do what you can to keep the smoke from entering your area and stay away as much as you can. Or, find another place to live. Those are pretty much your choices. I wish you luck because smokers do not like being told to smoke outside, you smell, your house smells like cigarettes or anything else in a negative manner.
    Mamasan1657

Answer by Mamasan1657 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2009