I have a 4 week old daughter and she is my first daughter, so I am not sure about girl things. Her left breast is really hard. It doesnt look funny, it looks normal, but I noticed when changing her clothes that is was rock hard. You can feel how hard it is under her skin. Is this normal? I know I was told when I had her about hormones coming out of her. But since she is 4 weeks old, I wasnt sure. Does anyone know?

My daughter is 4 weeks old. She seems to be find. But upon changing her clothes I noticed that her left breast is very hard to the touch. You can feel like a big lump under her skin. It doesnt look abnormal, but it is very hard. When I touched it, it didnt seem like it bothered her at all. But I have 3 boys and she is my first girl, so I am not sure wether this is normal or not.

jrbgirl06

Asked by jrbgirl06 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It didn't happen with my daughter. Yeah they have a lot of hormones (my daughter got a light period when she was born...spotting mostly). I've never heard of getting a lump though. I would talk to her ped. He/she will know more.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• yes I do know from persoanl experience with my oldest. She did the same thing and it honestly like to have scared the crap out of me. I didn't walk, I ran to the ER because I was so scared, and they told me it was normal, just hormones. So, yes it is normal and it will go away in a couple of months maybe not that long.. If it hurts when you touch her, thats different. It feels like a rock under there. They needed to give me a manual on children when I had mine. Anywawy, congratulations on the other joy in your life :)
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I would call her pediatrician. It may not be a "girl" thing. When my son was 7 months old his nipple started to bleed, they thought it might be an infection, so they treated with antibiotics, it was not...they thought it may be cancer and sent us to a ped. specialist, they did an ultrasound and determined it was cyst. He is fine and it does not bother him anymore, but they did say that if would continue they would have to do surgery.

I do not want to scare you, but somethings aren't normal but are still simple. It is best on things like this to seek a professional! I wish you the best. Please DO NOT WORRY!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• my one of my boys was a few weeks old, he had the same problem. I gently squeezed it (really gently) and a little milk came out. I asked his ped. about it and he said it's perfectly normal for babies to get a little "milk". I just continued gently squeezing it out (after having the doc check it out) over the next week or so and it went away on it's own. Still, I'd at least have a doc take a look for you. Better safe than sorry.
    Anonymous