i think my 13 yr old daughter is depressed?

my 13 year old daughter doesn't seem to care anymore. all she wears is black sweats and sweatshirts, she doesnt hang out with any friends, she doesnt brush her hair or like going to school... her only friends are friends she plays with on a hockey team, which are boys. whens shes with them she doesn't act girly at all, like a usual 13 year old would, she just treats them like brothers.. i dont know what to think. she used to be a little princess. i dont think anything happened because she is home schooled. what is going on and should i do anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• It could be a lot of things. She might be depressed or she might be going through a stage...maybe even something to do with puberty. Will she talk to you?

I was very depressed as a child and it was worse after puberty. Don't ignore it. Take her to see someone if you can. It might be nothing to worry about but you don't want to take the chance.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 3:26 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I really wouldnt do anything just yet. She is 13 and trying to "define" herself. Or find her place in the world....kwim. This could only be a phase in her strive to figuring out who she is.
    Now if there is reason to worry, like she is lashing out at your or other family members, or doing physical harm to herself then I would worry. Just keep a close eye on her, try to talk to her, and be an really active part in her life, where she goes, who she is with, etc!
    MyMayBaby_Chloe

Answer by MyMayBaby_Chloe at 3:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I wonder if she is coming in contact with children who are into the gothic stuff. Could she be spending time on the computer or could it be some of the guys on the hockey team? If she is depressed, there would likely be some event or some disappointment that triggered it. Does she have opportunities to be with other girls her age? Maybe you could invite some girls over for a sleepover. I would try to think of and suggest some fun things to her and see if she picks up on something that she thinks would be fun. I would do everything I could to keep the communication flowing, and I think that will best happen by your making lots of suggestions rather than asking a lot of questions.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• It could be alot of things...... Depression, maybe she feels more like a boy, maybe she likes girls anyway I would maybe get her into counsiling she may really open up to someone else!! I wouldnt ignore whats going on!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I would talk to her about it...I don't know what your relationship is like with her but my mom would always ask us questions, tell us that if we are depressed there is nothing wrong with it and if we need to talk she will listen and not judge, and if we wanted we could go to the doc and see about antidepressants... good luck
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• i would try counseling. first thing i thought was that maybe she feels she should be a boy (physically) rather then a girl. you never know. i heard of this. although rare.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2009