bathing for dad?

My husband refuses to bath his 6 month old daughter. he says it makes him uncomfortable. what do i do? i dont feel he is uncomfortable, but wants to get out of it. but what if im wrong? should he feel that way? I mean i guess its normal for everyone to feel a little uncomfortable it is a private afair (thats what makes us not abuse our children) so im glad hes a little "uncomfortable". but is it a valid excuse not to help at bath time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• i know ALOT of men who will not bath their daughters. They all say they feel uncomfortable with it, like they're violating them of somesort, and they dont want that feeling, so they dont. I guess because I'm a mom, I dont get that either, but, I sorta feel bad for them having feelings that way. A lot of these men, over the years, have started bathing them. It just takes time. They need to understand that its OK to. And until they understand, it'll be tough on them.
    Anonymous

• some men worry about being accused of things. I would not ush the issue. does he changes diapers?
    ckmom0612

Answer by ckmom0612 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Ya he changes diapers, gets her dressed and will come and watch her play in the tub for short periods of time, so hes not totally freaked out.
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 3:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I think thats a little bit silly. I mean, its his daughter, and no it doesnt matter who you are (mother/father) bathing your children at first is a little uncomfortable. I remember the first few times I bathed DD I was thinking "am i doing this right, is this the right way? etc), but bathing really is a bonding time between parent and child. Just like feeding, changing diapers, and snuggling, bathing them helps establish trust. My SO isnt my daughters father, and he has no problem putting her in the sink or tub and bathing her. He figures he loves her, and she needs a bath so he'll bathe her... no big deal.

Maybe try explaining to your hubby that bathtime really can be a fun bonding experience and builds trust? Buy toys and let him show her how to play with them. (My DD wont let us touch her bathtoys anymore now that shes figured out how to use them all!)
    CNsg

Answer by CNsg at 3:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• see my answer in CHB

=)
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 4:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Dh has never bathed dd alone. He always wants me to supervise. He works 230-11, so I am with her every night at bathtime. I think he is afraid he will do something wrong or forget to do something. Last night, I took my first bath with dd and dh watched and when I was done washing her, he took her and dressed her while I soaked in the tub for an entire 10 GLORIOUS minutes . . . sorry, it was exciting for me . . lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My husband has never bathed any of our boys under the age of 1! He was always sooo concerned that he would drowned them, or something would go wrong. If he helps in EVERY other way when he can, I would let it go. If he is uncomfortable, let him be uncomfortable....you'll only end up mad and argue with him. He doesn't know what he is missing, and maybe if he is so uncomfortable than you can just except that you will always know and remember how much fun it is to bathe the kids on your own.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 7:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2009