Condensed Vs. Evapotated.

I'm making fudge and the recipe calls for Evaporated Milk. Well, in the confusion of the baby screaming and the 50 million other shoppers, I accidentally grabbed condensed milk. Whats the difference? Would it be okay to just use the condensed milk?

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Sweetened condensed milk has a large proportion of sugar. Using it in a recipe that asks for the evaporated milk would result in grainy, gritty fudge. You can, however, make fudge of sorts with the sweetened condensed milk. Just add butter and chocolate chips to it and melt all together over simmering water in a double boiler until smooth, then pour into a buttered glass dish. It's not quite as creamy as traditional fudge, but it's tasty enough.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• If it is just condensed milk you should be fine...if it is sweetened condensed milk, that wouldn't work.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Damn it! It is sweetened! Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't it work?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Your fudge would come out super sweet because you'd be adding the sugar that the recipe calls for, plus the sugar from the sweetened condensed milk. You could still try it - just reduce the sugar that you add. I couldn't tell you how much to reduce it by, though - you'd just be taking your chances. If it's for someone you need to impress, you'd probably be better off going out again for the evaporated milk!
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Eh, it's just for my husband. I've already trapped him so the days of trying to impress him are over. Thank you guys!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2009