Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another question about adoption type stuff.

My sons dad has never had any formal custody of my son, just a child support order other then that he has no other links to my son, do I even need to go to court, can I just terminate child support and be over it?


Asked by Mrs_Harsh at 9:51 PM on Feb. 10, 2012 in Adoption

Level 40 (115,799 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I think you need to talk to a lawyer,, but I am pretty sure that you have to terminate his rights,, good luck momma. You might not want to terminate child support,, my husband got

    Answer by kimigogo at 8:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2012

  • You'll have to check with a lawyer but regardless of if they were established, he still has rights. He is the father and that automatically gives him rights. He may never have bothered with using his rights but unless they are terminated through the court, if he decided he wanted to start getting involved with his child, he probably could.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 10:22 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

  • Terminating child support does not terminate parental rights. Parental rights can only be terminated through the court.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 9:53 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

  • He has o parental rights? never established any kind of rights for him regarding our son?

    Comment by Mrs_Harsh (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Feb. 10, 2012

  • cont.. lol he got child support from his missing Dad when he was 23,, his dad won some money, and the state garnished it, I am pretty sure you can terminate the parental rights,, but you don't have to get rid of the support.

    Answer by kimigogo at 8:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2012