Anyone understand this?

How can you call yourself part of your religion, when you can't follow what it was originally intended for? A HUGE majority of religions (not all) have one very basic rule... Christians... judge not least you be judged... or honor thy neighbor... Pagans... Thou shall never harm thyself or others... Jewish, Jehovas, Muslims.. all have the same concept as Christianity in this sense)... etc. So... for religious people out there... I understand if you are called out on something, I can respect answering back, and it getting heated, but why would you even start something in the first place? Your just asking for it IMO. Yes we have all been given free will... but if someone asks an honest question, instead of bashing, don't you think you should take a real look at what it is asking? Would you like those type of replies to your answers? Don't care if anyone bashes on this question. I just want to know why you think cont..

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 3:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because believing in a given religion doesn't make you a good person, a "man" of your word, or someone who is able to necessarily practice what they preach. But they often have religion to fall back on and say, "it is okay because I believe such and such and that is what saves me....not my actions." I know religious people and non religious people who are truly good humans and I know religious people and non religious people who are truly wastes of skin.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 8:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• you can talk all about your religion while bashing others religions or lack of (as is my case), and not look back and think to yourself... hey... that wasn't very (your religion) of me. I haven't been following my faith all that much if I have to resort to attacking others for no reason.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I agree with you that one should follow the basic tenets of a religion if they are going to consider themselves followers of that religion. However some terms "Christian" for example can denote someone who does not follow any religious system but simply accepts Christ at his word. There is a difference between a religion & a spiritual path, a person on a spiritual path can choose to follow the path laid down by a religion, or not without hypocracy. As for Pagans (which is the title I embrace) you say "Pagans... Thou shall never harm thyself or others... " there is no person who is an authority in Neopaganism, do dogma, no writings that all must adhere to. So even though many Neopagans & virtually all Pagans who consider follow Wicca specifically believe that is a tenet of their religion, it is not something that all Pagans must follow or even believe.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Part 2 of your question: Why do people start something in the first place? Human nature. Some are compelled by a need to be "right" & to "prove it," others by a desire to "stir the pot" & piss others off, still others because of some frustration that comes from other times & places when they felt terribly misunderstood or mistreated. Can't we all just get along? No probably not.
    nysa00

• none of us are perfect and we may believe in our church but like all others are human and struggle to follow all of the laws and rules.
    ckmom0612

Answer by ckmom0612 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I am Muslim. I try not to bash, try not to get defensive when my religion is being misrepresentative, but when it comes down to it, we are human. We are not perfect. Maybe if someone does bash a bit, they were having a bad day and just venting?
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• It's human nature, darlin'. People tend to elevate themselves by denigrating others. It's not right, and (in my case) it's not Christian. It drives me nuts too. But I've been guilty of it as well.

In the case of Christianity, one would think that after 2000 years, we would finally get it. But I'm human, and I screw up. I forget. I get angry and annoyed and hurt and offended and wounded - and like any other wounded animal, I lash back. I'm getting better, very very slowly, but it's still there.

Hopefully some day, I'll finally become what Christ intended me to be.
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 4:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I understand what your saying, and have been asking myself that very same thing.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 4:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I know that saving money is important, its the right thing to do, but sometimes I just spend my money unwisely.

I know that eating right and exercising is important for my health and weight but sometimes I binge and skip workouts.

I know I shouldn't judge but sometimes I just do.

There is a huge difference in knowing something and doing it. Life is about evolving and changing as a person to better yourself. As long as you are making progress you're heading in the right direction. But my belief, as a Christian, is that we were not designed to be perfect, we are designed to be flawed....which is why we needed a Savior to begin with.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• This post makes noooooooo sense.
    Anonymous