Has anybody ever heard of this?

somebody told me that the United States is the only place in the world that treats an ear infaction,that other countries tret the pain, then once the pain is under control the ear infection goes away? I'm curious if this is true or if anyone else has ever heard this. And if it is true can this method be used on an 8 month old baby?

momof3blue1pink

Asked by momof3blue1pink at 3:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I haven't heard that exactly but it is becoming more and more popular to not treat ear infections with antibiotics and to let it run it's course.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Americans are more likely to treat an ear infection with antibiotics. However, we are becoming immune to many antibiotics due to over use. More and more...doctors are deciding not to treat ear infections. However, my doctor believes that all ear infections should be treated in children under one year old.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I avoid antibiotics whenever possible due to when I was in 6th grade and had strep for months and was on them and resulted in a yeast infection. Imagine a 6th grader having a vaginal exam followed by having to use the yeast infection cream applied with one of those long tubes. yikes. But I do believe antibiotics are very helpful and needed, but highly overused.
    Anonymous