2009 stimulus package

When they say it's $500 for individuals or $1000 for couples, does that mean both had to have been employed in 2008, or just one? I cannot remember how it was with our last package, but I know my DH and I were both employed for 2007. I was not employed in 2008 due to some medical issues (and pregnancy).

I know the stimulus package is tentative, but I was just wondering if anyone knew or remembered if you got the $1000 per couple ONLY if you were both employed..or you get it even if ONLY one was employed.

laksmommy

Asked by laksmommy at 4:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Money & Work

• Not exactly an answer to your question but kind of a continuation...
    Does anyone know when we're supposed to be getting the checks?
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• They were saying on CNN that it's got "a long way to go" so I'm assuming quite a few months
    laksmommy

Answer by laksmommy at 4:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• yes i was wondering this too?
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• no idea when we get them, but Obama wants to double the next ones from the ones we got last year. i dont' know how they will do that this year if you didn't work last year. i know that in order for you to get it you would have had to work and file your taxes. like i didn't work, so we only got $900, $600 for dh and $300 for ds. if they're going to double that, i didn't work last year either, so we should be getting $1800...at least that's what i heard. i'm not sure if they have even made the decision yet. i think we will hear more about it when the inaugaration (sp?) is over, cuz that seems to be what the news is only talking about these days
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• We got back 2400. I think it goes off of how much money you make a year as to how much you get back and how many kids you have, we have 4. Not sure how much help I am to you..lol..Check at the government web page. google it. maybe that will help you?
    Anonymous

• WE'RE getting the money?! Rock on, that's news to me! I thought it was just to rebuild bridges and stuff, but I won't say no to some extra cash! Anyone got some links they could hook me up with? :)
    Anonymous

• It's not even settled on yet, people. Chill out. It's a proposed plan.
    Anonymous

• its stupid all people are gonna do it blow it!!! this is just my opinion i know most dont agree with me!!I just dont see the point in giving people more money so they can eat at Mc Donalds more and buy a Nintendo Wii.....
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• The whole point is to give them money to spend, then that gives money to the companies, that that company can continue paying their employees, then those employees are not being laid off... See the cycle??

I hope its not based on working cause I didn't work at all in 2008 cause my husband is deployed... I would be mad! But that would be awesome to get another check
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My mom didn't work and received hers in 08 she just had to have filed a return.
    Anonymous