hiccups

my 10 day old gets hiccups atleast 2 to 3 times a day ..is that normal??? what causes it??...is there a way to get rid of them??

ashlei_kay

Asked by ashlei_kay at 4:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Normal. Same thing that causes them in adults. They will subside on their own.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 1 1/2 yrs old and still get hiccups like every day. Especially when she is giggling. I usually give her something to drink, that helps
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I always knew it was getting close to time for the baby to come while pregnant, because i could feel them having the hic cups all the time. breastmilk always helped mine with their hic cups. no worries, it's totally normal.
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 5:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Yah it's completely normal. If it's close to naptime and my daughter gets them (they can last up to 30 minutes!), I give her some gripe water, but not the full dosage because they don't need that much. It helps everytime.
    StaceyBee

Answer by StaceyBee at 5:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• It's normal AND it's good for them. It helps to develop their lungs. However if your little one seems to be bothered just hold him/her close and breath deeply and evenly- it seems to help the hiccups calm down and go away.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 6:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My daughter gets them all the time and she'll be three weeks old tomorrow. She usually gets them after I burp her, and I'll lie her on her belly across my thigh and rub her back or I'll hold her close to me and rock her gently. Both have seemed to help me.
    Poopie08

Answer by Poopie08 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2009