What type of parent goes into court and

bad mouths their child in front of the Judge rather than pleading for rehab and therapy when they know it is going to land them in prison for years?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Relationships

• well,what happened exactly?
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Parents that are fed up with it all?
    Anonymous

• My brother is severely mentally ill and addicted to drugs. He robbed his mother because he was living on the streets. She seriously abused him when he was younger physically and mentally and as a result duing his formative years did not develop properly mentally.
    Anonymous

• I'm not going to judge your posts at all. I'm sure this is so hard, but there are many families who enable their kids young and adult in age to carry on in ways that are not productive. This is totally NOT related to your family, but Casey Anthony--I'd turn on her and beat the hell out of her if she were my own child to try to get answers. That is an extreme case, but there are many more that are not. My own SIL does not work or do much, but cheat, lie, drink, and steal. She needs real consequences. Again, this is not directly an opinion, but maybe your mom (regardless of the past) is trying to show tough love, and/or just get him off the streets where help will be mandated. Maybe not the best choice, but hers. I'm sorry you are hurting. I hope it gets better.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• teachermom01, while I do respect your opinion, my mother severely beat all my siblings. However, my brother, who was the youngest got the severest and most frequent beatings- daily. The state did nothing to address the situation and now as an adult he is not right due to the pyschology damage of tremedous physical and mental abuse. If the state had stepped in and removed us from the household, I do not think this would be happening. It pains me to see my brother suffer for his parent's sins.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like no matter what she doesn't you won't like it.

Maybe she's just an evil person?
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Although I understand how you feel about that, he did something to go stand in front of a judge for. I'm not saying his childhood had nothing to do with it, but if he stole from her, then he was still wrong. If he's got a severe mental problem, they will get him some help in prison I'd hope. My brother is in prison and so I do understand that no one really wants to see someone they love go there, for any reason (even if you agree they were wrong). I'm not making excuses for your Mother at all, but badmouthing and lying are two different things, so if she said he robbed her and he did, then she told the truth. There's a lot of people that come from bad homes that go on to do wonderful things in this world.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 5:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Well, I don't mean this to sound harsh, but if she treated you guys that way your whole lives, why does it surprise you that she would behave this way? I mean, I could understand if she had appeared to be a loving mother all your lives and then did this, that you would be confused. But if she was always abusive and hurtful, then I can't imagine it would be a shock that she would continue to do so. I'm sorry that it's happening, I'm sorry for your brother's problems, but I do have to agree with lisa, that maybe now he will get the help that he needs and hasn't gotten so far.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Well if your mother abused him as a child, what makes you think she would have changed and try to help him now? She sounds like a person who did not need to be raising children in the first place. I am very sorry for you, your brother and any other siblings that were raised this way. I hope your future is easier and filled with blessings, and if you have children, remember to give them a hug everyday, and you won't be like your mother.
    Anonymous

• i knew a mom like that.... my friend was being the average teenager getting into a little trouble but nothing serious, but she didnt want to take care of her no more... she (the mom) had her own agenda... she bad mouthed my friend to the extreme and of course they believed her and had her taken away :(
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2009