How long can preterm labor be held off with meds

This is my 4th pregnancy and I have a history of premature babies though my past pregnancies was never given meds like this one. I started having preterm labor signs at 29 weeks. was given the steroid shots twice at 24 hours apart.. though I went into labor on the day of my second shot was put into the hospital for 4 and half days on magnessium to stop contractions and was a couple cm dialated. I was able to go home on strict bed rest and I am on Nifedipine every 6 hours. I turned 31 weeks yesterday, but I am starting to get uncomfortable again. Has anyone else been through this? and how long does this type of med hold off deliveries usually. I see the doctor this tuesday.. all info from any of you is much appreciated!! thanks

violetfantasy

Asked by violetfantasy at 5:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I went through this. They should have you on full bed rest now. I was 29 weeks the first time. After that I went back into labor when I was 32 weeks. They most likely will not stop labor twice because it is dangerous to the baby. That does not mean though that the meds only work for 3 weeks or anything like that. I am just telling you my experience with it.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• thanks for the response.. I am just curious to really know how long I can push keeping this baby inside of me. oh and when I said strict bedrest I meant full bed rest ..I am only allowed to get up to use the restroom
    violetfantasy

Answer by violetfantasy at 5:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Oh I think I just missed that line LOL No sex either! That will definitely cause you to go into labor!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2009