has anyone had a drink while breastfeeding if so how did you know how much to pump out before you feed again.

seay1998

Asked by seay1998 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Your a Mom now with a Baby, why would you even want to drink?
    Why would you want to take the chance in breastfeeding after you had some drinks? I don't understand.
    Anonymous

• I feel the same. I want maybe one drink every once in a while but I don't want to get drunk. I want to wait until I'm done BFing.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• You can have a beer or two. If you decide to have hard liquor you need to pump two or three times, depending on how much you drink.

Get off your high horse, Anonymous...I'm guessing you're not perfect.
    lrobles1983

Answer by lrobles1983 at 2:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It is fine to have one drink. The rule is, if you're okay to drive, you're okay to breastfeed. In fact, a beer every now and then can increase your supply.
    Cadreysmom

Answer by Cadreysmom at 2:16 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• okay, that first answer you got ... what in the world was she thinking???!!! My baby was born right before the holidays, you know what that means. I had some wine at Xmas, and pumped for 24hours! lol, i know, a bit excesive, but I didn't want to take a chance. My mother is a nurse and she sad I went overboard, but I knew how important it was for my little boy. You deserve a drink, 9 months of swolen feet, stretchmarks, and then labor! ... not to mention all those crazy hormones! just know your limit, and don't get tipsy ;-)
    Alma2kids

Answer by Alma2kids at 3:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Check with a dr. If you need a break and want to get drunk - the dr will tell you how much you need to pump before it's out of your system.

I got drunk on New Year's after my son was 2 months old and I pumped like six times. Here's a non-scientific way to find out - taste your breast milk...if it tastes like liquor - pump again. Breast milk doesn't taste gross or anything...so it's not as gross as it sounds.

Anonymous

• If you don't feel buzzed and it has been at least two hours since your last drink feel free to breast feed. I got married a month after having my son...The Dr and health dept told me that as long as I didn't feel drunk or buzzed and hadn't for an hour or so. He could have my milk.
    mommy_of-2

Answer by mommy_of-2 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 18, 2008