Babies and Visitor Perfume. Does it bother the baby?

I've noticed that after a group of friend and family visitors are done passing my son around (he's 7 weeks) and giving him hugs and kisses, he absolutely stinks of 9 different kinds of perfume, cosmetic products and whatever else. It bothers me afterward to hold and smell him and I give him a bath after everyone leaves to get rid of it. I mean, it's really bad. Especially after holiday parties where everyone is all dolled up and bathed in perfume to look/smell their best.

Do you think adult perfume smell bothers babies? Do you think it is harmful to his health? If yes to either of these questions, do you think it is too "new-mom-zilla" to request that people not hold him if they're "overly-scented?" I want to be nice and a cool, "relaxed" mom but boy...he really smells like the perfume section at Macy's after some of these visits!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Unless you notice him breathing or acting any different I would say it probably doesn't bother them that much. BUT you can always tell them that the perfume irritates the baby skin and to avoid wearing perfume when they come over just so they stop doing that LOL
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• In general, some babies have sensitive skin and ANY perfumed product can irritate the skin. Some have more sensitive respiratory tracts and get wheezy afterwards.  If the scents are bothering YOU - claim late hormones and request any visitors be scent-free.  If the scents are irritating your child, you'll be able to tell by a rash, red area, difficulty breathing etc and you should certainly put your foot down for his sake.

But my child was never bothered by perfumes, just dyes in laundry detergent.

cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I think your sense of smell is hyper sensitive. I wouldn't ask people not to hold him, I'd just bathe him after! That way nobody gets their feelings hurt and your little guy smells the way you want him too! Good luck!!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2009