I'm making a recipe that calls for heavy cream. Can I use plain coffee cream? (like coffee mate?) I don't even have any milk!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• No, you'll need to go to the store for cream. Coffeemate won't work like real cream. Sorry.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• that depends on the recipe. if it is a dessert you need heavy whipping cream
    aapye

Answer by aapye at 5:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• It's for a pasta dish to make a cream sauce.
    Anonymous

• Since coffeemate is artificial stuff I'd not want to eat it in quantity. Do you have any evaporated milk or powdered milk, or unflavored yogurt?

Answer by Bmat at 5:25 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Ohh. I do have evaporated milk. Will that work?
    Anonymous

• Yep, evaporated milk will work, but you will probably have to add some cornstarch to the recipe to make the sauce to the desired consistency.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• to my knowledge, most coffeemate is actually non dairy, and would not have the desired result. evaporated milk would work.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 6:23 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• No, coffee creamer won't work. If you have evaporated milk, that may work, depending on the recipe. If it has to be whipped, it wouldn't work...but for a sauce of some sort, it works great, and is an easy way to save on fat.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 7:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Boy, I'm still learning something new every day. Evaporated milk & cornstarch--I'd never have guessed...thanks!
    Sharon7370

Answer by Sharon7370 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I use half and half instead of heavy cream - it has less fat.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 12:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2009