I get so worried. Will the baby be healthy and normal if the father and I are related?

I want to have as few as possible problems with my child delivery.

jodi24

Asked by jodi24 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• How are you and the father related?
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• oh wow. well it depends on how you guys are related.

if he is your brother or father then the chances of having a healthy baby are really low.

if he is your cousin the risk is a little lower than with brother or father.

if its like a great cousin or something like that then the risk is even lower than with a cousin.

but the risk is always there.

not sure why i would want to get pregnant by someone who im related to. :-/
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• are you serious? Thats gross but to each his own, i guess. and normal i highly doubt if hes got i;m my own grandpa issues.
    Anonymous

• I would be more concerned for the child's mental well being than it's physical well being if they parents are backwards enough to be related to each other and having children together.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Well let's give her the benefit of the doubt! She could be sporting some wild hair and a belly button jewel (troll) or she could be serious. She did not give many details; it could be a healthy relationship or the result of rape, she could have just found out they were related, there are many scenarios. As for an answer, I'm not sure. Get tests done if you're really concerned, but something done can't be undone, meaning you're all ready pregnant by a relative, so it's a bit late to be worried about the possiblities. Good luck to you, and I hope the baby is healthy.
    Anonymous

• I believe the more chromosomes you have in common (the more closely you are related) the greater the chance that there is that there could be birth defects. Are you and the father actually related? Or are you paranoid that you could be related (hey, you never know, I think we're all related to each other somehow). Usually any defects can be seen via ultrasound and the blood tests that the doctors will do. If the doctor doesn't see anything to be concerned about, you shouldn't stress yourself out. No matter what, every life is valuable and precious. Your baby will be beautiful and perfect no matter what...to me all babies are. I recommend asking your doctor for a referral to a genetic counselor just to reassure you and get to the bottom of your questions and concerns.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Maybe she is trolling maybe she is serious...who knows. But before anyone calls it "gross" or "backwards" without knowing her situation...consider what her situation COULD be. Many more children than you realize are concieved as a result of insest-rape. It happened to someone very close to me and she carried her perfectly normal baby to full-term and gave her up for adoption. I don't think she was backward at all and the incest was something she certainly couldn't help.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 5:31 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Well I was dating my 3rd cousin without knowing we were related so please don't judge her too quickly. Now I was young ,we broke up as soon as we found out, and didn't have sex let alone get pregnant.

WIthout more details it is hard to comment. The comment about the ultrasound and blood tests being able to tell about birth defects is not accurate though. There are numerous birth defects that don't show up on either of those tests and they give many false psotivies too!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• That's right NovemberLove. I agree with you totally. And there is no better way to further alienate a victim of a rape than to try to make them feel like a lesser being (as in calling them "backwards"). There is certainly to possibility of this being fake, but why take the chance where it is still remotely possible that it's a real person in a real sticky situation?
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 5:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• It depends on your genetic backgrounds. If there are no lethal recessives lurking in your chromosomes, there won't be any more genetic problems than there would be with non-related couples.

For those questioning this person's morals/sense-- there are many cultures in this world where cousin marriages are very common, and whole villiages where everybody is related somehow. They consider it very strange that we prefer to marry strangers.
    bodhikt

Answer by bodhikt at 6:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2009