4 year old & showers?

I was wondering if anyones 4 year old taking showers? Do you think 4 years old is to young? If yours shower, how did you get them started? My daughter wants to take a shower, but I'm afraid when it comes to washing hair time she will get water into her ears. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated!

Thank You!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my daughter (almost 5) LOOOVES showers!! shes been having them since she was 3..i turn on the water, crank up her hannah montana cd and she stays in there for a good 30-45min. singing and dancing by herself.. her hair goes down to her bum, lol, so letting her wash it, isnt even an option! she helps..but..she cant do it by herself..but ya when i wash her hair i aso give her a facecloth and she holds it over her face so that the shampoo and conditioner dont get in her eyes..as for water in her ears..i dont worry to much about that, i clean her ears with a qtip afterwards..and whatever i miss will drain out..shes never had problems..and on nights i dont wash her hair, i just put a shower cap on her..she thinks shes so grown up and loooves it!! (grandma got her hooked on shower caps..lol)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• When my son was 4 he wanted to take showers. i would wash his hair and he would do the rest of his body. Eventually he wanted baths again. Since then he's showered a few times. But he prefers baths (he's 7 now). I think I was about 5 when I started taking showers. I also asked my mom to show me how.

I say let her try it. Help her with her hair and washing if she needs it but let her try on her own too. Play it by ear. She might really enjoy it.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 5:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Mine were never interested in showers until around 6. I usually said ok to that.

Answer by gemgem at 5:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Our boys have been taking showers more than baths since they were old enough to stand up!

Our 4 year old (5 in February) is now washing himself, drying himself and getting dressed (one of us is in the bathroom with him) He takes care of himself most of the time, but once a week, we watch closer to make sure he's REALLY clean. lol

If water gets into her hears, it will drain out. I have one prone to ear infections and he's never had a problem. I have another one with very narrow ear canals and he's never had a problem. I have one "normal" (LOL) and he's never had a problem.

Set the water temperature, and let her go. Yes, she may need some help with her hair, but so did you when you first started cleaning yourself. It takes practice.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• When mine wanted to start taking a shower, I'd have them hold a washcloth over their eyes while I washed their hair and they would do the rest. They thought they were "grown up" to be able to take a shower. Of course, by the time we got done, I was almost as wet as they were!
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My 4 year old takes showers. He gets water in his eyes the same as he got water in his eyes when I rinsed his hair in the tub. No big deal.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• my son has been taking showers all his life.. (well except the first 2 months) we held him untill he could stand and now he takes one by himself.. well kinda.. I wash him head to toe after i do he washes to make sure I got him clean.. LOL he is so funny.. Yes he still takes baths but he likes to take a shower after. Oh and he is almost 3.. :) sorry forgot that part..
    but I think it depends on the child themselves.
    Do you think she is old enough? make sure you stay in there with her.
    Have her make sure you got her clean.. just show her its fun..
    Anonymous

• My three kids have been taking showers since they were two. My oldest (4) has no problem i even let her wash herself up first then i do it again to make sure she is nice an clean she closes her eyes an puts her head back so she doesnt get soap in. my middle (3) he knows how to close his eyes to. but my youngest son (2) i just pull the shower hose down on him to rinse his hair, sometimes he gets soap in his eyes but i just wipe it and he is fine. But for the most part hes fine, my kids love showers.
    KBSSJ5

Answer by KBSSJ5 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2009